Common Milkweed Most Fragrant and Butterflies Love it Too

Thornton, IL

I wanted to share with you all the most fragrant plant I have in my garden, it is the common milkweed, Asclepias syriaca. Especially in the evening, it is sooo fragrant (sweet)! And the butterflies love it too, it is the larval food of the monarch butterfly. =o)

I dug one plant from my SIL's prairie backyard, for sentimental reasons. I was going to move into the backyard, where the prairie plants are starting to all hang out (LOL), this one is just around the corner from the front of my house. No plans to move it now! I need to get more.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I just found some in an abandoned yard I brought some home. I looked it up and am a little worried it will become invasive. I'm glad to hear it is fragrant.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmm....may need to go ISO some of this...

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I can't smell well so I'll agree. That milkweed is a tough one to transplant. We have found it easier to just seed it where you want it.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Amazing pic there!!

Thornton, IL

Ctindell - It is not invasive, to my knowledge. It has a long taproot, that makes it harder to transplant, I guess. Mine stayed in the ground, sitting there doing nothing until fall, then it got a little growth on it. This year, it took off like a rocket! But still it hasn't spread. I really like it. If anyone wants seeds, please LMK how to collect them, and I'll give it a whirl. I really don't know if they all smell the same, so I would like to hear from others.

Deering, NH(Zone 4b)

I have a love/hate relationship with this plant. I have inherited some from the neighbor - seeds blew, or were carried by birds, over 500 feet to get into my yard. I was fine with the couple of plants that came up in the daylilies. But, they are trying to take over part of the lawn and are coming up oin a new rose garden. The things are sure looking like they could become invasive.

However, I like Monarch Butterflies, so keep some of them around, pull others, and so far the mower has kept them from advancing too far into the yard.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.