Remembering Carmen (pins2006)

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I recieved the sad message that Carmen died yesterday morning from her cancer and am awaiting news about the funeral arrangements. (GGG, if you hear, please post.)

It would be nice to remember her here as a fellow Georgian, gardener, sweet lady and one of the bravest people I have ever known. If anyone can find photos of her or plants that she shared with you, please post here in her honor.

Carmen had been to many of our roundups and we shared visits to the Home & Garden shows for the last few years. I remember how excited she was to visit this Italian Garden themed show, her best friend Teresa won a trip to Italy there!

Carmen, dear lady, I thank you for your friendship throughout the many years. May your family find peace and you find the blessed rest you deserve, never have I known such a valiant woman. God Bless You.

February, 2006

This message was edited Jun 30, 2007 8:14 PM

Thumbnail by violabird
Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

My thoughts and prayers are with the family. I didn't get a chance to visit with Carmen in Jonesboro RU sorry to say. But I do feel the pain her family is going through, I lost my mother to cancer 2 yrs ago.. My heart goes out to them. I'll be getting a card in the mail Monday.

My Deepest Sympathy,
Donna

I didn't get to meet Carmen either but I have a beautiful Genger Lilly that was in her garden that was given to me which I will always treasure. I'll get a picture of it and post it tomorrow.
Hugs&blessings ... Susan

Carmen was one of my gardening friends for many years. Her garden, especially shade garden was a treasure, just as Carmen herself.

I feel so lucky to have been able to share time with Carmen twice this last year, once for a whole morning in her garden where she shared many of her special plants.

My prayers to Carmen and her family, dear children she loved so much and was so proud of, and much supportive hubby.

GGG

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

DG is asking for a good photo of Carmen for our Memory Garden, does anyone have a great shot?

Someone posted a message on Gardenweb this morning stating:

There will be a memorial for Carmen in her garden, Tuesday, July 3rd 2007 at 5:30 pm.
2973 Country Squire Lane, Decatur, GA 30033

The Perotta family can be reached at the same mailing address.

girlgroupgirl

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

My heart is so terribly saddened by this news...she was such a courageous and wonderful lady! She will be missed by so many and remembered by so many more for her contributions to their gardens as well!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Carmen was one of those that if you didn't know her, you were the one left out.She was a real troupper up to the last, and I feel so fortunant that I got to see her in jonesboro, and shared with each other.Mike

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

It is so wonderful they are having a memorial service in her Garden...I know she will be smiling!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I sure hope to see others there. I think I found the right photo of how to remember her! (Sorry Danita, I had to crop it)

Thumbnail by violabird

Hi y'all ...
I'm posting these pictures in memory of Carmen. I didn't get to meet her, but she touched me through her prayer thread ... her faith and the spirit that she lived her life. I received this ginger lilly from Spider aka Anna last year when Carmen was dividing her plants. I haven't seen Anna post lately and have tried to call her. If anyone knows anything about her ... please tell her hello.

In this picture you can see the ginger lilly over behind my hosta. :)

Thumbnail by

Here's a close-up of the lilly now. It's really grown. It was just a baby when I got it in the mail. :) I'll always treasure it knowing it came from Carmen's garden.

Thumbnail by

I know that others from DG have joined together when someone has passed away and done something in memory to honor them. I've been wondering if maybe her GA friends would like to do something together or am I over stepping my bounds?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Not at all. I would love to be a part of something special. Just let me know what everyone would like to do and I am in! Thanks for asking Susan!

Thanks Janet. I would like to hear others input since I didn't meet her or don't know the family, but I really think it would be nice. Even if we just took up a collection in her memory for the American CA fund. Of course if there's a garden club, etc that she treasured or something someone knows about ... well, I just think there ought to be * something *?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Maybe Glynnis can help us out...any ideas?

Carmen was in the Hosta Society, and at one time the Perennial Plant Society (although I do not know if she was a member of that club more recently. Does anyone else know?). The cancer fund is also an excellent idea. There is no notice in her obituary of a specific place the family is asking for donations.

Please note, there is also a service for Carmen Funeral Mass, 11 a.m. Tuesday, Catholic Church of the Holy Cross which to my understanding is in Chamblee.

Right now it is hard to think of anything else, sorry.

GGG

This message was edited Jul 1, 2007 6:12 PM

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

In my family we have always planted a rose bush or azalea at the house where the family lives. It is usually the azalea, being evergreen and not needing upkeep. Just a thought.

chris

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Sounds good to me, lmk. Is anyone else going to the memorial?

Carmen is now in our Memory Garden http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/742386/

Carmen loved the knockout roses. She planted several last year.

Maybe one of the lovely new special ones that are harder to find, like the pink/yellow one? If I only knew where to find it. I have tried several wholesalers and none had any left.

girlgroupgirl

Any of these suggestions sound wonderful to me. If someone close by could check on this and let me know so I could mail a check. I can mail to help with the expense of any purchases you need to make in advance. Just keep me informed please. :)

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I will be at the memorial today. Is anyone else coming? I sure hope so. It seems like a perfect way to pay tribute.

I am unsure about purchasing a plant, since her family will need to care for it and I'm sure Carmen's gardens will be a lot to handle for them already. I know from experience that sometimes what the family needs is someone to take care of what is already there for them. I wonder if there is a gardening company that maintains real gardens and not just lawns? Perhaps that is where we could help?

Angie
I agree. Maybe you'll be able to get a feel for things today. I wish I could come, but am afraid I won't be there.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Angie, did you get to go to the Memorial Service?

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, violabird, farmerpickle and I made it. It was a lovely gathering out in Carmen's garden. Tons of people, mostly family and some people from the hosta society too.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

How wonderful. Bless her family for having a gathering in her garden, I know she would have loved that.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Here we are in her wonderful garden, I do have more photos if anyone wants to see. The memorial was more like a party celebrating her life, my but she had a lot of friends! I promised to send these threads to the family to show how much she was loved at DG, so post away.

Her friend Theresa (fairydancer) had said that Jim would most likely be selling the house after a while but that she would always take care of Carmen's plants and adopt as many as she could. She will always live on.

Thumbnail by violabird
Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I am sorry I could not make it - please post more pics - hey Vi, Angie and Wennie!!

Brenda

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Today is Carmen's Birthday.. Thinking of you Carmen :)

Susan

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I saw that too Susan. Made me remember all the fun we had at the RU. Sweet Carmen, sweet memories!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I am a better person to have known Carmen, and share with her, she was always so greatful, and helpful.We will always have an empty hole in our gardens But will remember the love she brought.Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.