Who/what is causing this?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

So far this is the only plant that looks like this.

The spots are very fragile looking and almost transparent.

Thumbnail by zenpotter
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i keep looking at this and i think it's not pest damage, but some kind of leaf disease, viral or bacterial, i'm not sure, but i'm leaning towards disease. is this a plant that prefers to be on the dry side? is it prone to leaf "rot"?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Any chance it could be accidental overspray of weedkiller? I saw a weed in my garden today that had gotten splashed with Roundup but not really doused thoroughly and the leaves looked kind of like that.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

probably leaf spot or some other fungus

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Looks just like the damage that Japanese Beetles caused to some of my plants.

Nana3

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is a photo I just took of my Silverlace Vine that was damaged by the Japanese Beetles. I saw them on my vine and before I could get them all pulled off they had managed to eat the leaf tissue between the veins of this many leaves. I am hoping that new growth will cover over the damaged leaves so they won't be seen later on.

Nana3

Thumbnail by Nana3
Santa Fe, NM

I was thinking Japanese beetles, too. I cut down my only hollyhock today because it was just too buggy. I never did see the beetles, tho.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I think this should be seen by your Cooperative Extension horticulturist there in Hennepin County.
What kind of plant is this? That makes a big difference when diagnosing problems.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you for your suggestions. I just got back from a week away.

The plant is a Gaillardia Goblin. There is a shrub rose with the spots as well, they are in different gardens and on different sides of the yard.

I don't use any weed killer so it isn't that.

I will check with the extension office, I hope I can send a photo I have never used them for an id question.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

in that case, i feel that it is a leaf-spot disease, not a bug, unless maybe a lacebug, something that would make the stained-glass effect holes in the leaves. i have some Gaillardia too and periodically i see this problem on mine. some small sawfly larvae will create that effect too. it's like the leaf is eaten on both sides but not clear through.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

What I am finding for control is to thin the plants and if it gets to back remove them. Does this seem right to you?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

not knowing for sure what the problem is, i can't say if it's right or not. i do know that Gaillardia don't like a lot of water, so perhaps thinning for more air circulation would be a good thing in any case.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I decided to solve the problem by digging the plant out.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

lol

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

So happens, I've a Dutchman's pipe vine that's being affected. Same symptom. I disagree about J. beetles damage, because these beetles they don't sample the plant/any plant, they tears them up right down to the skeletal, or leave' veins. Looks like a trip to County Extension officice is in order.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

yeah, i don't think beetles either. they devour stuff.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I think it was the leaf spot disease. I used the county extension office web site and it sure looked like the photos they had.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.