new to clematis

Avon, IN(Zone 5a)

A garden center near me is closing for the season, and I've been wanting a clematis. Since they were on sale I decided to try my hand at them. From what I've read they like sun on the plant and flowers but shade on their feet. I am going to plant it in a full sun location with mulch and a short (8-10 inch) plant around it's bottom. Should that be ok?

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

That should work! Good luck.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Sounds like a good plan! Which Clematis did you purchase?

A good rule of thumb to follow: Plant darker colored Clematis in full sun and the light colored ones in pt. shade. That way the sun won't bleach out their delicate colors.

Avon, IN(Zone 5a)

I got 'rouge cardinal'
it had 1 bud on it when I bought it, and it opened over the weekend! It's beautiful

Crazy4bts: Yeah! Post a picture please!! My 'Rouge Cardinal' is in full bloom also, but I find mine to be very purple. I thought it was suppose to be a reddish-purple. What is yours like?

Avon, IN(Zone 5a)

Mine is a deep burgandy color...It's pretty, I'll see if I can get a pic tonight

I wondering if I received a mystery Clematis named "Rouge Cardinal". I'll post a picture of it tomorrow. Mine definitely is NOT burgundy. Wish it was!

(Zone 4a)

Just be sure to care for it this season and I am sure it will turn out next year!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.