strange daylily phenomenon

Granville, OH(Zone 6a)

Has anyone ever seen their day lilies sprout from a stem sticking up out of the fans? I recently bought several plants one at a day lily farm (marked down because they're not blooming any more, got several for $3 to $4, multiple fans), and when I got home and planted them, I noticed this happening on one plant--I've never seen it before. I don't have a photo, but if you've ever grown onions that went to seed, you know what I mean. The stem that the sprouts are on is a larger, stiffer, taller stem than the bloom stems. The sprouts are about 6 inches long, and have 1/4" roots growing out of them. Would it be OK to cut the stem off and try to get it to root in the soil? Maybe I should use some rooting powder to encourage it? Or stick it in water for a while?

This message was edited Wednesday, Aug 8th 8:38 AM

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

These are called stem proliferations, and are quite common on daylilies. Some do it more than others. I just pulled a stem prolif off of Dragon's Eye yesterday.

I have never had very good luck getting them to make roots while attached to the stem, so I break them off carefully and root them in water, just like a cutting. It takes about two weeks or so before you see roots extending down into the water. You can then plant them outside or in pots.

I have never tried rooting powder on these, but I would be curious to know if it works. Why don't you try it and let us know?

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I saw that for the first time this year too. They remind me of spider plant babies. Now I can tell my friend how to treat hers. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.