Can Iris Be Mulched?

Schriever, LA(Zone 9a)

I have a rather difficult area between my driveway and my house that is probably 15 x 5. I thought a good plan would be to allow this area to fill in with Iris. While it is filling in quite nicely, my problem is keeping it weeded. I could literally spend ALL my gardening time weeding this bed. I know that the rhizomes(hope that is the correct term) need to creep along near the suface, so I haven't mulched this bed for fear of hurting the iris. Here's a picture of the bed this past spring when the iris were blooming. It looks quite horrible right now with all the weeds. If I can't mulch them, I'll have to re-do this bed with something that can be kept tidier.

Thumbnail by LadibugZ9
Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

Iris should not be mulched, it allows moisture to be held at the rhizome and will cause it to rot. Iris need good drainage. You can mulch around but not over the rhizomes. . The iris bellies like to bask in the sun. There is a natural product called horticultural cornmeal, (yes similar to what you bake with). It can be found at feed stores and some nurseries have it. Cast onto or worked into the surface of the soil it prevents germination of seeds. It won't prevent growth of already germinated seed not prevent ones that multiply from the root, but it is a cheap easy way to cut down on the problem of weed growth. In addition it is a good source of natural fertilizer. I plant rose moss around my iris in the beds, looks pretty and shades out some of the weed seeds that might come up.

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Lebanon, OR

Those look like Japanese Iris. If that is the case this fall cut the foliage down to about 4-6" and mulch with steer manure, the cheaper the better. About 4" deep and about 10" past the iris...this does two things come spring, better bloom (which you do not really need with this display) and less if no weeds. Japanese LOVE to be mulched. The growers here in OR do this every year.

Hope this helps

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

They look like Louisianas to me, but ditto on the mulch, as Denise said. Lousianas love mulch. Steer manure, I'm sure would be great. Plain old well composted cow manure, and wood chips if you can't get the steer manure.

This message was edited Jun 29, 2007 4:26 PM

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

overlooked the Japanese............didn't open the picture.....You are both right about the mulching

Schriever, LA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for all the great tips. I believe these are Louisiana Iris. I will definitely try cutting them back and mulching with the manure this fall. All of these Iris multiplied from 1 plant purchased from American Aquatic Gardens in New Orleans about 5 years ago. I wish I could remember the cultivar.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

They sure are pretty, and it looks like you've done well growing them.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I wish my beds were that weedy! ;)

Schriever, LA(Zone 9a)

Joan,

That was a picture before the weeds got the upper hand. I won't even post a picture of the iris (weed) bed now :)

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Don't feel alone. I have a bed that I'm in the process of demolishing because the nasty perennial weeds and grasses have pretty much taken over.

Lebanon, OR

Do any of you use Ronstar or Preen? Ronstar is the better but not everyone can get it ...

D

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Portulaca aka rose moss at the iris' feet!

What a good idea!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.