The harshest winter ever, and NOW 'Snowflake' blooms

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm puzzled. I've had Hydrangea Querquefolia 'Snowflake' and 'Alice' for years in my zone 5a yard. I would burlap them every winter in the hope of getting blooms, but I never got more than four or five. Now with the harshest winter ever (it killed zone 5a roses and viburnums!), with the same burlapping, my Snowflake looks like this.

I'm happy, but I'm confused. As you can see, it's quite exposed. The west wind, from the rear of the picture, is a killer.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Got me - looks great, what a display!

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I'm the type of person that always wants to know "why"...especially since I'm so new to gardening, I'm really trying to understand how things work and why they don't, sometiemes. So needless to say, I certainly can't answer your question, but I just wanted to say how pretty that looks- enjoy!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

When you say you've had it "for years", about how many years is that? Sometimes shrubs take a few years to really get settled in and well established, but once they do then they will give you a really good show.

Raleigh, NC

Maybe your moisture levels were higher because of all the spring melt, or the greater depths protected it more? Or it decided, based on the harsh winter, that it was not going to survive, so it put out lots of flowers this spring to procreate before death? Or the great fairy plant gods in the sky sprinkled their magic golden fairy dust on it this year? Who knows, but its gorgeous...

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you for all the great responses (fairy dust from the plant gods is my favorite!!) but I have four of them, and they all bloomed. They also responded to pruning by pumping out lots of new growth. I've had the one pictured for at least five years. Perhaps the settling in factor is important.

By the way, Yotedog, I LOVE Raulston Arboretum. I was passing through and had an hour before getting to the airport, so I stopped in. Amazing. So from all the way in Illinois, I became a member and get some amazing plants. It's really garden heaven down there, and the people are wonderful!

Donna

This message was edited Jun 29, 2007 9:47 PM

Raleigh, NC

So glad you enjoyed it--yes, it is one of my very favorite places. I go to many events/classes there, and often go just to walk around and enjoy...such a great place, so glad you stopped in!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.