Mockingbird nest

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Today, I was standing on a ladder pruning a tall bush, and a mockingbird flew off a nest. The photo doesn't show the 3rd egg. I left a fringe of growth around the nest to give it some protection. The parent birds were on the roof scolding me for giving their secure nesting spot a haircut. Hope I can get some photos of the hatchlings.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

This photo is a little better.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Poway, CA

How can I get these mockingbirds to move on so that I can get some sleep?

Marlton, NJ

Umm there really isn't anything you can do; it would be illegal.

Have you tried putting cotton in your ears? I'm not trying to be funny, just thinking of other ways to help you out. I'm sure it's quite annoying.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Learn to enjoy their song?

Springs tend to be on the chilly side here, but just occasionally it is warm enough to have a window open, and dreamily listening to the dawn chorus at 4am is one of the great delights of it.

Instead of thinking "there go those *@#% birds again!", try thinking "what a delightful performance they're putting on for me!"

Resin

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

The parents are still sitting on the mockingbird nest. I check it every day, to see if the eggs have hatched. I enjoy hearing the predawn singing: nice to hear something that's so happy to be alive. Of course we are retired, so sleep issues aren't as critical to us, as they would be to someone who has to be well rested.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I LOVE hear the Mockingbirds sing! I used to let it really bother me but now I just love hearing them in the middle of the night. Their singing is so beautiful but I can understand how it could bother some people.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

All 3 eggs hatched. Both adult mockingbirds kept a wary eye on me, while I peeked in the nest today.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Marlton, NJ

Oh wow thats so cute and such a nice clear pic! Thanks b!

Can't wait to see them fledge!

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes, great pic!

Orange Park, FL

bsharf, good for you, I just finished getting them out of my local nest and into the air, good fun to get them up and running. And they are such "kick-butt" birds. Really fun to watch them thrive. I thought they were really tiny when I saw the little fuzz on top of their heads. They started flying while the fuzz was on top of their heads! What do I know. I ain't done no birthin' of baby birds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

The wing feathers are starting to grow out.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

The parents are getting less patient with me peeking in the nest, one of them is busy dive bombing me, while the other is scolding me.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics b! Be careful!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

They are still sleeping all the time, wonder if their eyes have opened yet?

Thumbnail by bsharf
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'd say yes, looks like one is peeping at you from behind that twig

Resin

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Resin: you are right, I see the little open eye.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

The babies have gotten so big, that they don't really fit in the nest anymore. They are wide awake and so cute. The parents are being run ragged feeding them. I noticed that baby anoles are a part of their diet.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Here's momma, catching her breath in the crepe myrtle.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

The babies have fledged and gone. I still see Momma sitting on the back fence.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.