Growing Veggies in 5-gallon Buckets - Comments, Tips & Trick

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Please post comments on your success (or not) with growing veggies in 5-gallon buckets. Include tips and tricks.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I have not tried it - you certainly look successful at it, though!

Not really, Pagancat. This is when I first planted out. They grew tall and leggy, and didn't put out anything at all. Which is why I'd like to hear from some others on their success

Bummer .... well someone should come along who has tried it.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I have grown tomatoes and bell peppers in those buckets but all mine were in the "upside down" method where I drilled a hole in the bottom and planted my seedlings upside down, then hang the bucket up. I would imagine the act of growing in the bucket is the same, regardless of which end they are sticking out of, so I will can you that tomatoes need lots of sun, water and fertilizer.
Good luck!

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

sounds like too much nitrogen or not enough sun.

not enuf sun....

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

My only veggie in a container came up as a volunteer in my bird of paradise. It now has 3 bell peppers on it. Why don't you try asking this on the Container Gardening Forum as they are very knowledgeable over there with veggies in containers.

Otherwise, I agree with the others -- not enough light often causes leggy plants.

Karen

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Two years ago I started some veggie plants indoors, from seeds, they sprouted & I was excited about the prospect, then work and other obligations restricted the time I had to devote to them, they became "leggy" always seeking the sun and died before I could care for them better. I believe if it is leggy, it is reaching for something it can not get hold of (like light) but as usual I cold be wrong.

As usual, I think you are right!

You're right Glendalekid,
Sorry I didn't post in the most appropriate forum. Please forgive me...

Well, if that's the worst crime you commit, I'd say you're further along than most of us.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

If you have not been following Herbie43's "adventures" and explanations on how he grows his Tomatoes and Peppers in 5 gal. buckets with a drip hose threaded through the tops, here is one link. I know he has been on other Posts too.

Gita

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/743712/

Here's the other one I was looking for.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/737591/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.