question on summer squash planting now

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I wondered if I could plant some more zepher squash for early fall picking. would it go over well? I just planted some gold rush zuchinni and some hybrid type of yellow squash and the plants are doing quite well.

question is, I can't find any more zepher squash seed anywhere.

Also, Can I save seed off my other squash? will it cross pollenate with other squashes?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

also, we've had somuch rain, that I have powdery mildew on most of my squash, trying to go organic , what can I do?

just wait for the sun?

what types of yellow squash are resistant to mildew?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

All summer squash cross pollinate readily. Powdery mildew can be controlled with frequent applications of a basic fungicide. Home made remedies include baking soda, powdered milk. a copper based fungicide also works.

Mildew resistant straightnecks include General Patton, Daisey, Patriot II. Crooknecks include: Sunglo, Supersett, Prelude II, Sundance, and Gold Star.

Supersett has performed very well for me.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

How did you get so smart? thanks so much.

I found some zepher seeds, so I'm going to plants some more when they come in

Raeford, NC

Farmerdill The baking soda and powdered milk mix it with water or sprinkle? I know to some of you the answer is obvious but to us who have never heard it before I always tell my children no question is ever stupid because if you do not know the answer you cannot find it unless you ask. Thanks farmerdill in advance. Deanna

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

In both cases it is mixed with water and sprayed or sprinkled. I have not used the powdered milk, but I suspect you mix it like you were going to drink it. Baking soda is not critical either , a couple of tablespoons per gallon of water.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.