Storms

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

Too many Stormy's here I guess...we've had thunderstorms every day for too many days now to remember...5 maybe? keep hitting about 5-6pm and come thru pretty quickly and violently then done. Tonight no sign of a storm and I had just decided to hit the weather site to check if we were going to get one when I lost satellite connection. Did the diagnostics and it said due to weather. I'm thinking, what weather? when suddenly it starts downpouring. Cool...rain and no T&L when the booms start. So I unplug everything and remember dogs are outside and go get them in and sit back and watch the show. As it finishes, I just start plugging everything back in and I'm half a second from putting the power plug into the back of my laptop when lighting strikes so close that I feel a shock thru the power cord and vibration thru the floor!
Jim yells "I think that hit the barn!"
Joey's in the barn.
I think I had a heart attack on the spot.
I run to the bedroom where I can see the barn and everything looks ok. I quickly plug in the barn cam, which has moved so all I see is the back corner of his stall, but it's working so doubt it hit the barn or there'd be no power in barn, right? Then I got to thinking, he's in a metal barn but on a rubber stall mat. If lightning hit the barn, he'd be safe, right? Rubber doesn't conduct electricity, right? The second the storm passed, we ran out there and he was fine as were the other's who hid under the run-in. I'm neurotic, remember? And we have thunderstorms in the forecast for the next 5 of 7 days or something like that and altho I love them, they have been just way too close for comfort and I know that all I'm going to be thinking of with each one now is "is it going to hit the barn?" So...he's safe, right? someone please calm my overactive neurotic imagination before I have a foal living in the house.

This thread has 57 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!