Need Help Setting up 1st Terrarium!

Hereford, TX(Zone 7a)

I have been lurking here for quite some time and have found some useful information.

But, is there any way that we could put together a step-by-step how to for setting up a terrarium? Such as, what soil to use, how to layer the soil for drainage, what lighting, and what the best starter plants that could be used. I realize that there is more than one way to skin a kat, but a general how to would be great!

I feel that it would help those of us that have never had one (such as me!) get off to the best start.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Welcome drsaul!
That's a great idea and I'm sure some of the folks could put something together for the forum...I know there's discussion's of the topics but they are buried in the threads in bits & pieces.

In the meantime you could checkout this link it has some pretty good info on it that you may find helpful...

http://www.terrariums.com/

Enjoy,
MsC

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a video 'how to' that's pretty basic. http://stream.michaelholigan.com:8080/house/ram/5000/5739.ram

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I started my first one in May Ist made 1 for Mothers day the only thing I didn't like was the dirt fell to the stones on the bottom they say put a small screen on top of the stones or I can't think of the name but its what you put in the ground to stop weeds in you flower garden I looked for threplay but couldn't find it in this thread. I did read the theads that they sent and they are very good help. I how this helps a little. You can see how the dirt fell down The 2nd one I started was all dirt and I started AV leave they came up really fast
Kim

Thumbnail by Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

This is the 1st one when I was done

Thumbnail by Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

This is the AV one the Mouse's ears are much biger How that helps

Thumbnail by Dimmer
(Zone 1)

My terrariums are all set up pretty much the same ... the largest one I have is a 10 gal Aquarium and I have different sizes of jars and glass containers. All I do is wash the glass container well, then sterilize pebbles/gravel by pouring boiling water over them. I have an old colander I use for this purpose, put the gravel in and pour the hot water over then put pebbles in the bottom of the terrarium for drainage, then regular ole potting soil ... I read about the screen or spaghnum moss on top of the gravel/pebbles to keep the soil running into the pebbles, but I keep forgetting to do this! Then, I just put the plants in and put the lid on. I have a couple of small plants in wine glasses which don't have lids, so I use saran wrap on the top. And a few other's that are glass type bowls/vases that I just used plastic bowls fit over the top as a lid. I am probably not explaining very well. Here it is in order:

1. find a glass container and wash well
2. use about 1" of gravel or pebbles for drainage
3. put in soil
4. put in plants of choice
5. cover container with lid or plastic wrap

Here's a link I found about Terrarium Set Up:

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/terrarium.html

And a link for plant selection:

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/terrarium~plants.html

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

I'm a little late finding this thread but I really enjoyed the links, especially the one on plant selection that was done with the light needs taken in to consideration. There were several there I hadn't thought of and I have them right here in the house already! Thanks for that one Lin!

More container shopping coming up....

~Brenda

(Zone 1)

Isn't it fun planting in terrariums and glass containers? I just love it!

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Very fun, I just need to get some lights set up on my built in shelves in the dining room and I can have a lot more of them!!

Don't you think these shelves would look a lot better with plants on them instead of all those old dishes??? LOL

~Brenda

PS Ignore the messiness, I've been shoving plant stuff on them willy nilly.....

Thumbnail by bmedel
(Zone 1)

Oh man! I want that piece of furniture! WOW! That is a really nice shelf unit Brenda .... Perfect Plant Shelf! Please, Please post some photo's if you put lights and plants up there! What a beautiful display case for plants! I can just picture it now!

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

My husband did the built in shelves for me about 6 years ago to hold the dishes I was collecting. Too bad shipping is so high, I could trade the dishes for plants. LOL

Just a little more sweet talking and I'll have lights, at least on most of the bottom shelves! :))

He has already done one for me and I have the strep leaves I'm trying to do in perlite under them. This is a close up so doesn't really show the shelf well but it is in the middle towards the bottom. Now for a few more....

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
(Zone 1)

Uh oh ... I have a new wish for my "wish list" ... an entire wall unit like that with lights on every shelf for plants! That is really nice Brenda!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.