How to test soil for toxicity

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

My step-son is considering buying a house adjacent to an industrial park in Silver Spring, Maryland. The same owner has lived in the house for a long time. We think it was originally a farm house building (built 1933). It originally didn't have a bathroom, so there must have been a outhouse (the house is tiny and in horrible condition). The current owner did a lot (a LOT) of work on his cars and motorcycles in the small yard.

I am worried that the ground might have some toxic chemicals in it either because of the industrial park (not so likely) or from the motor oil, propane, and whatever else the current owner used. Is there any quick and cheap-ish way to test for that? The current owner is actually no longer living, so we can't get much information from that source.

Harvard, IL(Zone 5a)

If he puts an offer on the house, make sure his offer is contingent upon receipt of a certified soil test and a "perc" test on the well (I assume it's on well and septic and not municipal water and sewer). In our neck of the woods, the County Health Department can do both, or he may be referred to a soils lab in the area. Who pays for this is subject to negotiation as part of the contract. If your son is dealing with a realtor, tell him to ask what the practice is in this particular part of the country. These things tend to vary from state to state. Good luck.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2007 12:55 PM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm quite sure it is on city water/sewer. The sale is as-is, so I'm not sure what we can demand.

Who does soil tests? I know who to go to for nitrogen, etc., but for toxins?

Harvard, IL(Zone 5a)

The sale may be as-is, but if your son is going to get a mortgage, his lender may insist if there's any indication that the property may have once been used for a purpose which may result in contaminated soil. If it's a residential area, not zoned for such uses, then the mortgage company may not care, unless an actual environmental lien has been recorded and shows up on the title report. The best place to find companies to do a soil test is, again, the county health department. They'll know who does them in your area. These things can get expensive, however. If the property is pretty beat up, it's probably not worth the cost. If it's on city water and sewer, the major consideration (contaminated drinking water) will have been alleviated.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks -- I'll call the County.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.