My visit to the Iris Friendship Gardens

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Inanda asked, so here it is. I visited the Iris Friendship Gardens at Highland Park in Rochester, NY. It is strictly Louisianas, and many were hybridized just for this garden, from Australia, and around the world. I was very disappointed to see the tags were gone this year. I couldn't find anyone to tell me if the gardens were mapped out. I would love to know the names of some of them. I do have the name of a person to contact, who might help.

This is a zone 6 area.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

A yellow one I really liked.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

A pretty purple.

Thumbnail by pollyk
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

What a shame that there were no labels. Lovely flowers though. My Megan Victoria is in bloom and it's breath taking.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Their peaceful setting. Highland Park is just a beautiful place. Well known for its lilacs, but has so many collections of other plants.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2007 9:16 PM

Thumbnail by pollyk

Nice cooling photos on a hot and muggy day.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Pirl!

Can you post a pic of yours?

Then we went to Borglums in Geneva. Dana and Sylvia Borglum are hybridizers, their Seneca series of Siberians is well known, however they also hybridize JI's, species X, versicolors, and peonies, along with bearded iris.

Here's a pic of their farm. It can't get much more rural than this.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Mr. Borglum said he is over 70. But he runs the farm himself. Acres, and acres of plants. He is just the nicest person! And his grandson Hahn greeted us, and told us where to park, what a cutie!

Mr. Borglum has a policy stated of dig your own iris. $7.00 per clump, and there are shovels all over the place. But he came out, and visited with us for hours, and dug all the plants himself.

A really neat thing was how he cares for the iris. He plants them, and except for when he plants them he does not water them. They are in a drought situation there, for the month of May and June it only rained twice, but the plants are thriving.

Here's a new siberian he introduced recently. Seneca Midnight Blues. Sorry the picture is a little fuzzy, but the colors are accurate. It's very tall, and is still blooming in my garden.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2007 11:25 AM

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's a pic of the size of the clump.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Another clump shot, this is another one he hybridized, a versicolor, Cascade Mist.

The flowers are quite large on this one, and the leaves are very wide. Notice the size of the versicolor leaves next to the siberian iris leaves in the bag to the right.

That concludes my pics. It was a great day. Actually a day sponsored by my daughter as a mothers day present. Mexican food, with Margaritas to end it all.

And, if you iris lovers can believe it, she only bought peonies!

This message was edited Jun 27, 2007 11:39 AM

Thumbnail by pollyk

What a lovely day, Polly, and how nice of your daughter to sponsor it. Sounds like Mr. Borglum would have had a lot in common with Mr. McEwen of Maine iris fame. The property is so beautiful. Hard to match all those rolling hills against other gardens.

Since you specifically asked, here's Megan Victoria.

Thumbnail by pirl
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That's a beautiful LA, Pirl. Do you have any others?

By the way, I knew sponser didn't look right when I typed it, and forgot to go back, going back now, LOL.

Is anyone else growing LAs in the north? Please post some pics. I would love to see pics from north or south. Looking for pictures so I can pick some to add to my collection.

Yes, Polly, I have several but when we had such nice weather, late last year, I did the wrong thing and moved them to make room for other plants. Woe is I. No blooms at all on many of them this year.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

YESSSSSSSS..........

One day I'll get there.

Sent LA Society an email asking why no labels this year..........

So many thanks Polly...........

inanda More when I come in when it starts raining.
G

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Inanda, please let me know when you hear from the LA society about the labels. That seems such a shame if they were all lost. Thank you.

Last year the Presby Memorial Iris Gardens in New Jersey was vandalized and labels removed and plants destroyed. They did find the people who committed the crime but I haven't heard if they were able to identify all the irises again and get replacements for the destroyed plants.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I asked if anything happened to them, and they said no, they think they were just taken up at the end of the year. That's what leads me to believe (hope) they are mapped.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Am sure they were mapped. No reply yet.
inanda

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I've got to believe that too. I contacted the head gardener at Highland Park, but haven't heard back yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.