Planting mix for gardenia?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

There are some plants that prefer a more acidic planting mix. Gardenia, azalea, camellia. My local HD doesn't carry one. How can I create my own from products found at HD?

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I've had a gardenia for 5 years without one bloom. Finally today, my first! too bad I didn't know it needed a slightly acid soil!

Harvard, IL(Zone 5a)

Pine needles or oak leaves will help to acidify your soil.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I've been told that straight coffee - not the grounds - will also go a ways towards acidifying your soil. Do you have the gardenia in a pot or in the ground? It will be a lot easier to keep the acid high in a pot than if you have neutral or basic soil acidity.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Mine is in the ground. There seems to be many blooms this year. I can try the coffee. thanks

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Let us know how it goes!

Edited to add - You know, I'd try it 1/2 or 1/4 strength your first time - too much change too suddenly is rarely a good thing for plants.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2007 11:32 AM

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Peat moss is acidic, Azaleas love it.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

How much peat moss to planting mix, 1/2,1/10?

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, I just looked up the ingredients in a few brands of 'planting mix', and they're all peat based that I could see, but they add lime so the pH is neutral... maybe just add peat to your existing soil?
I don't know anything about the soil in your area... if I were you I'd ask in the California gardening forum and see what they're doing for acid loving plants in your area. Just an idea.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

Thanks a bunch!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.