Front pic

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Back pic

Thumbnail by Tropicman
San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh that's pretty - I love purple!

(Zone 11)

Gorgeous color, can I ask where you got it?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Cool. Mine has buds so it's just a waiting game here. Fireball is also budded. Can't wait. Nice pictures, Don.

Pueblo West, CO

Pretty! Plum Crazy is on my want list.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

ditto. I will watch for this hardy.

- Nancy

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I got mine at a local nursery,it looks as they had grown them from cuttings,as I bought it in a 3 in container as a rooted cutting,overwinted it in the greenhouse and planted it in the ground in April,and since then has tripled in size,Nancy not sure if this would be hardy,even for you in Zone 8,as it's leaves look to be very much on the tropical side.
Brugie,please post pictures of fireball,haven't seen this one as of yet!!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I will, when it blooms. It's really red.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Okay,will be waiting!!!

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

OOOOHHHHH!!!! That is out of this world!!! Truly gorgeous!! Darn, another plant on my "must have" list....

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

BTW,just wanted to let you all know this flower stayed open for 3 days,now the humidity was very high,cloudy skies,high 70's and low 80's were the temps,will have to wait until it flowers again,to see if the same results occur.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

FYI - I saw one at Lowes. They called it Plum Crazy Rose, however it had the darker leafs so fairly sure it was plum crazy. Gallon pot @ $12-$13.

Apple Valley, MN(Zone 4a)

Up here in Minnesota the nurseries sell Plum Crazy as a hardy hibsicus - meaning it needs lots of mulch and prayer in the winter.

I lost one a couple years ago and just bought a new one this spring. So far it looks great - can't wait to see the flowers!

Jeannine

This message was edited Jun 28, 2007 9:52 PM

(Zone 11)

Is Plum Crazy a hardy or a tropical hibiscus?

The plant tags that came with my Plum Crazy don't give a zone range, but the most informative tags says, "Breaks dormancy very late," which would imply that it is grown in areas subject to hard frost.

It was introduced by the Fleming Brothers in Nebraska -

http://www.flemingsflowerfields.com/index2.htm

Jeannine

This message was edited Jun 29, 2007 9:08 AM

For details from the Fleming web site see

http://www.soonerplantfarm.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=195

(Zone 11)

Jachurch, thanks for the link, yours is definitely a hardy hibiscus.After looking
at the link's picture and comparing it to Tropicman's photo, I'm not sure that they are the same plant.His photo looks more tropical to me. Either way, I would love to add both of them to my collection. :~)

Tropicman-Heres the DG Plantfile for "Fireball"
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/40908/

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well soonerplantfarm,says hardy to zone 4,mine is definably not the same plum crazy as that one,I bought mine here at Dutches nursery,and I did not see any this year,with all the rain mine has gone from a foot tall to almost 3 ft tall already,and my mardarin wind hibiscus is about 4 ft tall,this rain has caused continous growth with little flowers.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Such a pretty color you have there, Don. And your last one is so nice too!

jachurch, I sure enjoyed that Fleming nursery website. the graphics were just great. .

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Kell,
Hope to see the sun again someday,maybe they will flower again!!!!!LOL

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Funny you say that for during the night I was thinking of moving mine to the backyard from my courtyard into more sun. How many hours do they need a day of direct sun to get good blooming? Do you know?

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

Anyone know what this one is? I am pretty sure it is hardy.

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Kell,
Well I heard they need the same amount as a rose to get good blooms,
so 6 hours at least,with late afternoon shade is what I read.

Jackie,is that the one they Call Lady Baltimore?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Don. My problem is I have so many plants now, they create too much shade.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Me and you have the same problem!!!!!LOL
But I have to bring 100% of mine inside to overwinter!!!LOL
I feel like the old mother in a shoe,had so many plants I didn't know what to do!!!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Had to show off my new plum crazy :)

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

and an awful picture, but the dark leaves

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Love the darker eye center,and those are the darkest leaves,I ever seen on a hibiscus,
Thanks for posting them both!

Don

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I too was surprised at the leaf color, darker than even my Kopper King before the japanese beetles got to it :)

I had to rearrange my garden to make room for it, but I'm planting it today :)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Still waiting for my buds to mature on Plum Crazy. Was going to post a picture of Kopper King today, but our heat got to it or maybe it was me the heat got to. I do have a perennial hibiscus that I need an ID for tho. Maybe you all can help me out.

Thumbnail by Brugie
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Haven't had to deal with any Jap beetles here as of yet!!!
I was going to buy a copper king,but lowes didn't water them very well,and they really looked bad,so I passed on them.
Brugie,wished I could help you,for I have the same problem,here,a bird must of planted this seed.I did have a blue river,but it didn't come back for me this year,

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Don, here is my Plum Crazy. Now we know how much difference in time there is between our zones. LOL!

Thumbnail by Brugie
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Very nice color. A must for my list which seems to be never-ending lol

Robert

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Plum crazy just hit the mark down rack at Lowes where I am. It's setting seeds, hope they don't sell them all before I can do some seed napping. LOL.

Is that morally right? If I ask they say grab all the seeds you want.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Nothing morally wrong, but gosh, buy the plant, what is that, 6 bucks? I got one and I love mine......in fact you should grab up a couple for trading.....lol

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure plum crazy sets seeds readily. Mine never has and I've had her for three years. I like this one because it doesn't get as tall as some of the others and it stands better.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

She's a beauty Brugie,I wouldn't think unless it was pollinated with another plum hibiscus,whether it would come true to seed,but who knows what you might get!!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Even if it was pollinated by another plum the seeds still wouldn't come true, a few seedlings might look a lot like the plum parent but there'd be others that wouldn't. Sometimes the seedlings might be even prettier than the parents, so it's definitely worth trying them to see what you get!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I would sure try the seeds if they ever developed, but still have my doubts about getting any. Maybe CoreHII will be lucky.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.