Mid Season Color

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Anybody have some to share?

I'm having trouble getting these photos good enough to see but here's the best I can do.

Villa Taranto.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Tsukushi gata. This really doesn't get the luminous nature of the color on the tree. It's tough to photograph. Really breathtaking right now. It will fade to green as the summer progresses though.

Thumbnail by doss
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Try not to take midday photos - the harsh sun bleaches everything out. Try for morning or evening. If you can catch the long rays of the 'golden hour' hitting the tree it will be a fantastic shot. That is one hour after sunrise / before sunset.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks! The sun sets behind the trees though so it would work for the villa taranto but not the Tsukushi gata. These photos were taken about 5:00 pm. I'll try again this evening even later - or perhaps you are right and I should slog myself out of bed in the morning early. Heaven forbid!

No problem! I'm happy to see the Taranto looking so good - I just planted one this Spring. I'll try to get some photos up.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Great! People are really drawn to it. You'll be glad that you did.

'Orangeola'.

Thumbnail by victorgardener

'Autumn Moon' at night.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Boy do they take one's breath away. Autumn Moon is fabulous with the flash.
Taking the Tsukushi gata in the very late evening washed out it's beautiful red but it was a good idea. Maybe i'll have to play with the flash.

Thanks. Here's a not so good shot of Tamukeyama.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That's a stunning specimen. How lovely

Thanks Doss. Sorry I'm just getting back now. Here is Shigitatsu sawa.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What a stunning color it is.

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

victorgardener, what a lovely Shigitatsu sawa you have! I wish mine looked so bright and green. Do you have yours in full shade? Mine is in a pot on the back porch where it receives some morning sun and afternoon shade, but it's recently started to drop it's leaves. Some of them dried up, turned brown and fell off, while others are turning yellow and falling off. It's the same issue I had this time last year.

I'm just trying to figure out what this tree needs to keep it happy! Maybe it needs to be in the ground?

To be honest, I don't expect it to stay so nice. I had recently moved it to that location - mostly shade, from a full sun location. It was a part shade location until I removed a large Maple tree last year and was worried it would be too much. I have another one in a location that only gets AM sun and it's not nearly as bright and nice looking.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hmmm.. I would have thought that Shigitatsu Sawa would insist on afternoon shade. Whatever works. Why did you move it to shade?

I moved it because it was in full sun.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sure is a beauty. Here's Crimson Queen with some flowering hosta and hydrangea.

Thumbnail by doss

Very nice - looks great with the stone.

Walhalla, SC

Here is 'kasagiyama' a couple of weeks ago. This photo was taken in the evening so the light was kinda odd. The color seems to be holding a peachy to light red color fairly well in filtered sun, but I haven't quite got the right light figured out as some burning has occured.

Thumbnail by mattlwfowler
Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Wow, love the bright green, amazing sun color, and it didn't burn (yet?).

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Really beautiful photo Matt.

I did get some closeups of the two trees I posted before. This is Villa Taranto. It's worthwhile planting this tree in quite a bit of sun.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's Tsukushi gata. This tree glows orange though it sure looks green in this photo.

Thumbnail by doss

Doss, I just planted VT this Spring in an area that only gets a few hours of late AM / early PM sun. Think I should move it to a sunnier area??

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It will be fine in a shadier area. It just won't hold it's red color. It's a beautiful tree green too.

You think it will be okay in full sun?? Thanks.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, I think that it will be OK in full sun. Mine only gets very late afternoon shade here. Ask a couple of other people that are hanging around here too though.

Strangely, my Villa Taranto gets plenty of sun and is mostly green at the moment. My Crimson Queen in the pot is also a lot more green in the spot it sits at the moment. It may move around to the back of my house until its future home is done, which *might* be next year. I have hosta beds to complete in the fall and I can only do a bit at a time as the heat is really bothering me this year...migraines. Oregon Sunset is holding its color fairly well at the moment but has been in the shade. I'm going to level out my future hosta bed this weekend if it isn't too hot, and get it ready for a nice lasagna bed in the fall when I have some leaves for it. I have some weeds to pull to compost too, so I may just mix that material into the future bed at the same time.

Sorry for the tangent...

Laura

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Ditto on mine it's potted and in full sun ( totally green and thicker leaves not nearly as linerloum -liked ...like Doss's) I had another one that was a 1 year graft ( I usually don't buy 'em that young ) that was planted out nearby the potted one ..it made it thru the winter in fine shape and thru the freeze as well .But after the freeze I got cold feet abnd dug it up and potted it ... It was red and had elongated leaves in the ground but green potted although the new leaves are red.and the leaves seem also to be thickening.. My larger, always potted, VT was somewhat red in the GH but as I said now totally green ...It may be the potting that is effecting color and leaf shape too much fertilizer, lack of it or whatever?? David

Not sure, David, but it's a thought. Mine will get planted in the fall, however. It does seem to like the spot it is in well enough as it isn't burning (yet). It's taking quite a lot of sunshine.

Laura

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

Here's a photo I took this afternoon of my Autumn Full Moon maple. I love this tree more and more as time goes by!

Thumbnail by roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

Only one small branch has leaves this color (it's the same Autumn Full Moon maple)

Thumbnail by roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey victor - my Autumn Moon is almost as pretty as yours. :) How much sun does it get?

This message was edited Jul 6, 2007 5:53 PM

Mine gets full sun until about 1 PM.

It's gorgeous. I'm also interested in its sun tolerance after losing my Golden full Moon earlier this year.

Laura

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

Laura, I also lost my Golden Full Moon last year. It lost all it's leaves by late summer, and did not come back this spring. And it was mostly in shade!

The Autumn Full Moon has been amazing. Mine gets morning sun until about noon-1pm and then it's bottom half is in the shade and it's top half is tall enough to continue to receive afternoon sun. Around 7pm it gets a little more evening sun. It hasn't dropped a single leaf and has color that ranges from a light yellow-green to the darker red I've shown in my photos.

It seems to be true to its reputation to be a lot hardier than it's fickle Golden cousin!

Walhalla, SC

I would say fickle golden mother :)

...I've heard that this was the case anyway.

Here's Autumn Moon during the day last month.

You might have me convinced! Is the growth habit the same as its relative?

Laura

Don't have the cousin!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.