Exploding Garlic?

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

Some of my garlic is splitting on the side revealing a bunch of immature growth. Almost looks like it exploded. Is this because of all the rain we've been having? I am thinking that or I've let it mature too long and it's over "ripe" (though I pulled up and cut into one and it's starting to form cloves but not quite).

Anything I can do about this or should I just pull everyting up now and pickle it all?

I wish I had a pic, but my digital camera is STILL in the shop.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Sorry, no answers. A few of mine also did this and it happen after an unusual amount of water.

Thanks for replying anyway. Beginning to think I am invisible :-)
I am pulling it as needed and using it fresh - still really good. A couple more popped open, but there's plenty still that are holding steady. No end to rain in sight, but thank goodness we've had no floods.

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Not invisible, VH! Sorry...I don't have an answer either.

I harvested my garlic, and it didn't turn out too bad. I was not comfortable letting it set to dry since some had sprouted, so I pickled some and froze the rest (and gave away some too)

Thumbnail by VEGGIEHAPPY

Here is a pic of me chopping it up.

Thumbnail by VEGGIEHAPPY
Raeford, NC

veggiehappy Your garlic looks good. Just have never grown any before so do not know the answer but have a ? for you. Is it grown like spring onions? Deanna

You treat it a lot like onions. I planted mine in November and it pretty much grew leaves all winter. It wasn't until April that it started "doing" anything. I guess the additional growing time was needed for my area. I just poked the cloves in the ground and watered regularly (they don't like to be wet). For me it seemed like they took forever to make cloves, but they are so easy - and they don't take up much space. In the end I was glad I grew them and I'll do it again this year (hopefully with less rain....haha)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.