Perennial Garden Photos II

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Last year we were posting pictures of our whole flower gardens instead of just the single flower picture. I REALLY enjoyed seeing everyones gardens and hope we can continue to post our photos again this year

Here is the link to the first thread where we came from. Please join us!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/728703/

My backyard garden as it progresses. Lots of lilies in bloom!

Sherry ;o)

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

One more and I have to go for now.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful and tropical looking!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Part of the back gardens.

Thumbnail by pirl
Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

What a fabulous yard/gardens....I'm dreaming of that much space to play! :-)

Thank you, blakekhall!

From the opposite direction.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

That is beautiful! You did a great job.
Kathy

Thanks. I plant, feed and weed: Jack mows and edges.

The courtyard Japanese iris garden.

Thumbnail by pirl
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

ok, i want to play too.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

and daylilies for pirl.

Thumbnail by trackinsand

Oh tracks! You do know how to please me. Your gardens are beautiful and I love seeing daylilies I don't have to deadhead. You're just so sweet!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

this little old patch of ground is nothing compared to the gorgeous beds i've seen on this and other threads on this forum. i lurk and, hopefully, learn.

Me, too. It's how I use garden books, magazines, etc.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

you silly, you're one of the main ones i learn from and aspire to! yeah, i know the to is dangling.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

LOL! I want to know who cleans that giant white house in the background of your photo, Pirl! If that is your house and your garden, then I think I'd better hangit up right now. My house and garden are 1/4 the size you've got and neither look that hot right now! (Though the rain we finally got will be helping some -- hard to get weeds out of concrete!)

Sherry, lovely as always -- I admire not only the design, but the restraint.

Trax, Looks like England, not Florida!

Suzy

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Beautiful photos, y'all, and beautiful gardens. Pirl, I want your grass. And I love the unusual shape of your pointy bed.

I just wanted to say I particularly enjoy seeing photos of an entire bed or garden vs umpteen closeups. I wish more people would post photos in the plant files of the plants in context in a bed and that show the entire plant so you have some idea of how it will look in your garden.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Amen to that Hart! Can't count how many times I've dig up and moved something because either the height or the width just wasn't right for the space. Plus, I enjoy seeing everyone's combinations in a bed too.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

pirl,
OH MY GOSH!!!!! G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!!!!!!! And you're always saying the nicest things about my gardens. It's about time you added photos of your gardens. They are just beautiful! Thanks for posting them.

trackinsand,
Beautiful combination and colors! Love it!

Suzy,
Thank you. Don't exactly know what you mean by restraint though. LOL

hart,
I also love seeing the entire garden instead of just the closeups. I mean, I also love the closeups, but that's why I always try to get this thread going. I really enjoy looking at everyones designs and gardens.
Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Cordeledawg,
Thank you! And I agree. That's why these threads are so much fun. Such beautiful gardens and so many different styles.
Sherry

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I think we need to start a movement - step away from the zoom, people. LOL

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

hahahahaha
And I just got a new digital with a 12x zoom. ;o( hahahaha But the closeups are great too.
Sherry

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Yep, closeups sometimes captures insects on your blooms that you didn't realize were there.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Hi Deborah,
You're right. It really is nice to have the zoom. It's partly why I bought the camera.
You are the only one who responded to my post over on the daylily forum! Of course, I hadn't added anything to it since last year! But it looked like a lot of people looked at it, just no replies. ;o( Oh well.
Sherry

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I just can't get over how manicured your concrete borders make your beds especially accenting those curves! I just can't for the life of me make a kidney shaped island bed. Mine look like question marks. That's something I've got to work on. Oh ya, I forgot to say, your $1.00 daylilies will bloom like $100.00 ones!
You may want to think about adding some mums to your beds somewhere in the middle. I bought some for my patio window boxes just before Halloween last year. After they bloomed, I put them inbetween my dayliles but sort of behind them. By Thanksgiving they looked like they had died and I thought, Oh well. I'll clean'em up in the Spring. They lived! Blooming now too. Can't wait for them to bloom again in the fall. Most folks around here use them to decorate with around Halloween and Thanksgiving then just toss'em out. Costly mistake IMO.

Thanks tracks - it's taken years but worth it. I agree with Suzy - your gardens do look veddy English.

Suzy - The lady, who lives in that huge house by herself, has a once a week housekeeper and a lovely area where she could have flowers but she's allergic to them.

Hart - The grass is Jack's domain, not mine. The bed is the Obelisk garden and was created because of his problems with mowing that area: too much backing up and going forward (repeated ten times) to get the grass cut. I agree with you about the long distance shots but I do enjoy close ups of the individual special flowers/plants, too.

This is the front bed in the center of the lawn at the corner with the Lupines in bloom.

Thumbnail by pirl
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

just beeyouteefull! i love the lupines.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

pirl,
Very Nice!

Thanks. A storm blew through and just a few days later Jack had three wheelbarrow loads of lupine flowers for the compost but it was nice while we had it.

......today it's 77 but very high humidity - too muggy to even sit outside.

Thumbnail by pirl
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Tell Jack he has great grass.

I love the closeups too but I guess what I'm saying is that for many plants in the plant files, that's all anyone has posted. I like to see both. I'm going to make a real effort this summer to take lots of whole plant/in the bed shots and post them in plant files.

Those lupins are so gorgeous. I've tried and tried with lupins but they just won't live here. Delphiniums will maybe come back one year and then they die too. Lupins I can't even get to come back after the first year. I was at a half price plant sale at the local nursery the other day and they had huge lupin plants. I was so tempted but I've learned better.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

here is a picture of my garden last year, the first year at our new house. the cannas and castors were moved in the fall.

i forgot to add that i, too, really like full garden shots the best. i like close-ups for identification and just for the clarity of them, but my favorites are seeing an entire bed and what people do differently and/or better.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2007 3:06 PM

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Great gardens Pirl. I can tell you have spent many hours and years getting that look. It would be great if you posted your husband's veggie garden when it is full. I love to do veggies, too and his garden looks like the rest of your yard.

Hart, I have red lupines that are going to seed now and are loaded. If you want to try direct seeding , let me know. I can send some to experiment with.

Trackinsand, Your space is great! I am soooo jealous of those who can plant tropicals. I really like foliage and the textures you can come up with using them is beautiful

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks, cyndie!

Thumbnail by trackinsand

Thanks, hart, he saw your compliment on the screen and enjoyed it.

Tracks - it's so hard to believe how lush your garden is since I remember when you started working on it last year. You've come a long way in a year! Beautiful.

Cyndiehook - I'll find a good one of the veggie garden.

Thumbnail by pirl
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

now that is a vegi garden. i love the structure of it and the orderliness and the man in charge, too! lol

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

This bed is new this year and hasn't filled out yet, but it has some color now.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

what is the short purple coneflower? what species, i mean. that's really going to nice and it's looking good now for a new bed.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks. The short one on the left is Green Eyes - it's new so I'm not sure what the height ends up as.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i like that one!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.