Baptisia australis - False Indigo

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Finally it bloomed for me. I've probably had it for about 5 to 8 years but I also seemed to keep moving it. I guess it didn't like to travel...lol.

:) Donna

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Beautiful shade of blue! I've one that's lighter blue. I'm addicted to pea-like type of flowers I believe. Love them all.
Kim

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Kim. Please post a picture of yours.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

VERY pretty, I love the color. I was reading up on these and you were right PerennialGirl, they absolutely do not like to be moved.

The only plant I have with "pea like flowers" is my Amethyst Falls Wisteria and it's still a baby but had 2 little flowers on it this year and I too admire the pea like flowers :)

Kim

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Kimskreations;
Love those Amethyst Falls Wisteria too, I've a Chinese Wisteria that bloomed earlier in the season.
Donna;
I'll check and see if I can find a pic. of mine to post.
Kim~

Donna - I'm drooling over your plant. So pretty. I have been trying to get some trades for this plant. So it doesn't like to be moved? becoz when I do get some, I have a temperory spot for it until I can get my raised bed built, which will them be is perm home.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks Kimskreations and Rebecca. Beautiful Wisteria! I have a Wisteria vine that has survived 3 or 4 winters already but no blooms.

Rebecaca, you can move it but it will just take longer to bloom, so if you don't mind waiting....go for it.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Donna,
I've a tread on Wisteria blooms. It was posted in mid-march, there you'll see more info. on its culture. :-)
I'm still searching for my lightblue False Indigo's pic. :(

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Lily. I'm off to read the thread.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Donna, I forgot to mention it's in the Mid-South Forum. It was in early April instead of March.
Kim

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I found it, Kim.

Thanks a bunch!!

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I've admired this plant for a long time, but was wary of introducing it to my garden because I heard it hates to be moved and is slow to establish.

Last weekend I saw a gorgeous specimen at Fieldstone gardens in Vassalboro.

Sue

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mine is a little shy compared to the above, I had it 2 years now. It was slow to come back in the spring, but bloom it did.
edit to say, the lighting availability changes the color a great deal. My flowers are actually same color above. Baby-blue hue, and not as purplish as the pic. appears.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2007 4:26 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I have a blue one, but also bought a yellow one-Carolina Moonlight at Plant Delights 3 years ago. It was amazing when it flowered...must have had 50 blooms at a time! Wish I'd taken a picture.
Picture in the PDN catalog at http://plantdelights.com
Choose 'shop and browse' then scroll down to Baptisia.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

tggfisk;
Did your yellow bloom reliably for you? I surprised myself for I also have one of the cultivar. However, it didn't bloom for me. It surprised my local Nursery whose I got this from. They weren't aware that the yellow variety didn't bloom in our zone. Mine did come back, and look healthy. Though the 'died back' fibrous stalk are tough, so I used that to support my climbing vines this year. These were in full sun.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, it did! The first year after planting, I actually thought that I'd lost it...I'd planted in late summer the year before and knew it was risky...But last spring it put on a decent showing much to my surprise. This spring, the thing bloomed like crazy!!
Which variety do you have? Plant Delights is about 10 min. from my house and I had seen this one blooming in their display gardens. They are 7b also, so any variety they sell should bloom for you as well.
Bev

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info. I'm going and dig up the tag. Unsure of the variety. But, I'll check Plant Delights out. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.