Confused baby.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

This just out of the nest youngster is having identity problems.
Yesterday afternoon, Dr. Goldman called and wanted me to take pictures of this woodpecker that is trying to get into his house.
I took a lot of pictures and figured out that it is attempting to get it's own reflection to feed it.
Hopefully, it will soon figure out how to feed itself. All pictures were taken through a window, and the bird leaves when a door is opened.
1 of 6.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

2 of 6.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

3 of 6.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

4 of 6.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

5 of 6.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

6 of 6. A peahen kept following the youngster around, very curious.

Thumbnail by trois
The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Poor baby...someone get a syringe and feed that hungry mouth...lol

Pretty lil bird...they do have a very interestin group at their house.

MsC

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Fabulous shots trois!!! :)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Might be worth finding a licensed rehabber who can give it some aversion therapy to help it realise getting too close to people isn't safe for it.

Resin

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

The only problem is catching it.
She or he isn't so little, at least as large as a crow.
The bird is already afraid of people, she just sees the reflection and assumes it is momma. Open the door even a little bit and instantly gone.
Thanks, Grandmaggie. I have been wanting pictures of these, but this one has me worried.

Marlton, NJ

Great pics trois!!! He's very odd looking at that age.

The peahen following him around is even funnier!

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Yep, I know you're right Trois... even if you could catch it it would probable die of fright.
It's great photo for sure.

MsC

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks pelletory and Lottie. It must be getting something to eat as it has been doing this for 4 days. Guess I will stop the worry.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Oh my, how cute/ugly! I hope he learns how to eat soon......keep us posted.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

OK.

Melbourne, FL

Is that a baby Pileated?

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Yes. Sorry I forgot to say in the first post.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Trois, really wonderful pics and story - glad he seems to be okay.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

We will keep an eye on the situation.
Thanks, Murmur.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Really great pictures. I have enjoyed them very much.
I saw 4 of these guys with mama in the woods once. What a racket they made. Did not have a camera though, and didn't see them (the babies) close up. What a treat for you to share with us!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks, cpartschick. We have a lot of them around but they are usually flying by, or high up in a tree. We hear them several hours a day.

trois

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks. Enjoyed much,

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks, oriole.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Elaine

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

You are welcome, Elaine

trois

Glenview, IL

Trois,
This little baby stole my heart! Great pictures and I am so glad it seems to eating.

Somehow I lost you-Where are your other photos. I enjoy them so, and really miss you.
I hit watch thread on this one.
Judy

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks. There are so many forums now it is hard to keep up with any one person. I will from now on be using just two, this one and photo.

trois

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Fifteen days later I went back to Dr. Goldman's house to have another look at the confused youngster. It is somewhat larger, more fully feathered, and less tolerant of people. When it came to the window to visit with it's reflection, I slowly approached from inside the house, but as soon as I raised the camera, it flew away. I am happy to know it is doing well and must be feeding itself.

trois

Lawrenceville, GA

Thanks for sharing these pics, Trois. I've seen one pileated in the "woods" next to my house. I use the term "woods" loosely because I live in Metro Atlanta and the "woods" is simply an undeveloped piece of property behind my neighbors house with lots of trees, foliage, etc.
Anyway, I heard some heavy pecking and knew it had to be coming from something bigger than the usual woodpeckers that visit and looked up to see a pileated. What a sight! He stayed pecking away at trees in their woods and then came to my yard for a while. He was around for several hours that weekend. I do so wish he'd frequent my yard and the nearby woods, but I've only seen him just that one time. But I'll never forget it! I rush out to the yard every time I hear something pecking away in hopes he's back but to no avail.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

They do make a lot of noise. We hear them hammering away every day, but seldom see them, far up into the trees.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I heard these birds for years before I saw one. DH would see them hunting all the time and I was envious. Then we hung a suet cake out and I saw my first one, then 2 more came in. Seeing 3 in one day after never seeing one was quite a rush. Now I see them often and even when there is no suet one will do a fly in. Saw 2 yesterday. Pictures posted on "bird watching...daily pics"

Marlton, NJ

Oh I would love to see one of those!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Have to put some suet out now.. for my pileated.. hmm now what do they prefer.. bet they would like those stale peanuts in the kitchen with some peanut butter.
Elaine

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

In suet around here, they like the cherry/berry suet. But they are such hogs, that one can eat a whole cake in less than a day. I do have seed out for the birds, but with all the cherries. berries,and seeds available on nearby bushes and trees, we see many birds closer than the feeders. Lots of bugs out there too. (would someone please start eating the deer flies?)Suet is "winter only" here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.