Gardening Online

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Hi all,
We are currently loading stock onto our online shop for gardeners, and would love to hear everyones thoughts.

What items would online gardeners like to see/buy? (remember most plants can be done cheaper locally due to the costs of P&P)

Does anyone have there favourite online shop for buying items, and why?

We aim to be upfront and honest i.e our prices include P&P so there are no hidden extras and also be the best value.. if we can't beat another site we won't bother listing the product.

Please let us know of any items.... i have 300,000 items instock but can't list them all.

Many thanks

Mike

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Mike can you list every thing you have for me ? Paul

Paul
Send me your email address and let me know if you would like it via Excel or pdf format!
Seriously i can send that kind of info...

That will teach you

No one answered this so we went ahead anyway.. its getting there but needs smartening up a bit.

Mike

Ballintleva, Ireland

Hi Mike
Do you sell that labeling machine...Brother P-Touch L-100 (I think)
Just been telling Terri from Yorkshire about it...she had a huge problem with her "un-permanent" marker pen!

Can you put the site address up....I have forgotten it
Will get back to you with a wish list

You said "free P+P"...to the UK I think - please remember there is a huge market from people like me, who cannot get stuff as easily as you can in the UK - I am in a rural area and on-line ordering is perfect for anyone a little cut off...I don't mind paying postage charges...what I hate is when on line stores just "don't deliver to Ireland" full stop!

I have to make most of my purchases thru e-bay as a lot of stores won't deliver to me here in Ireland. Have recently had plant pots delivered, also capillary matting and shade cloth.

Mike...the other huge advantage you personally have is your experience / access to new seeds....can you offer new varieties to us?

Wishing you lots of success with the new "extension to your empire"!
Sue

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
what I hate is when on line stores just "don't deliver to Ireland" full stop!

There's an awful lot of very expensive red tape when sending plants across borders - they need plant passports, and sometimes phytosanitary certificates. Too much hassle for most nurseries, and it can add £40 / €60 or more to the costs in some cases.

Resin

Ballintleva, Ireland

Sorry Resin, i should have made myself clearer, I was referring to my recent purchases...basic consumerables...pots etc

I am not sure what the exact rules are with plants....I have bulbs and seeds sent to me without problems, but have never tried to order plants.

Must do some more research!
Sue

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

mike is your stock virtual and do you take virtual money

Virtual money.... lol... well so far its virtual as the only order we have had is one i did to test the security side of things.

I doubt anyone will use it untill i spend some cash and launch it locally to begin with then work out from there.

Willow Ireland is in my sights but to begin with i need to keep things simple. With just doing uk deliveries, if anything goes wrong i can sort it out easier. I just know the first item i send will arrive broken and cost me a small fortune to get picked up and replace!

The cost of the items i have worked out the delivery costs and included it in the overall price... i hate sites that you find cheap items then find its £20 for delivery so i figure id just work it into the price of each item (as long as its still good value)

The P touch i looked at a year or 2 back and thought they looked good but wasn't sure if the majority of customers would pay the price for basically a posh dynamo labeller. I can get them though, but only in boxes of 12. So if you find 12 people that want them and let me know how much you can get them for, i'll see if i can do a deal and beat the price. lol..... i don't use permanent markers... only a pencil... that seems to stay on the labels without fading and washing off.

Speak soon

Mike

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I've been hunting and hunting for a good way to label plants so that:

The label doesn't stick out like a sore thumb
The label is easy for people to find
The label is very clear and easy to read
It looks classy
It is permanent

I'm mainly labelling trees, shrubs and roses at the moment, but will also be needing something for herbaceous.

We have gites, so the visitors don't necessarily know a lot about plants, but they may never have seen some of the things we have and find it interesting to see what the plants are.
I've tried copper (classy, but not easy to read), and a few other things.
If you can recommend anything or think the labels mentioned above would be good I'd be very grateful.
I see you only send within the UK, but my son could take delivery and I can take it from there.

Hope you can help....

Ahh i get yah..
You need something professional looking.
That might be where P touch has the edge... forget my pencil comment then.. i thought it was just for your own use on growing plants.

I'll email myself at work and look into costs etc... but since we wouldn't be buying lots the price will be higher than a place that can buy pallets full of them. Also the uk isn't the cheapest place to buy stuff like this.

Still i'll have a look.

Speak soon

Mike

That's very kind, thanks. I just haven't been able to find something simple that fills the bill.
Also, mine was a new enquiry - my requirements may be different from WillowandSpike above.

Ballintleva, Ireland

Mike
Whats your site name....I an in the middle of changing over to Linux and can't find your site
........and I bet you can get 12 people who need the labeling machine on this forum alone!

Philomel
They have been perfect for me...if you would like, i will send you a label in the post so that you can see if they are right for you, before going to the expense etc

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
The label doesn't stick out like a sore thumb
The label is easy for people to find

Those two are self-contradictory . . . to be easy to find, it must stick out like a sore thumb . .

Resin

I beg to differ. A sore thumb jars, whereas a label can be well placed and clear to read without shouting at you.

WillowandSpike that's a very kind offer, thank you. My address is in the DG list. I really appreciate that. You must let me know if there are any seeds etc you are hankering after that I might be able to send you - or anything french LOL

The site is www.crowdersgardencentre.co.uk

Its all a bit trial and error at the moment so don't be put off straight away. I keep finding links that don't work and missing pictures etc.
We hope to launch it locally in mid august .. so you can see its not quite there yet.

Mike

I had a look before Mike and thought it looks very promising.

Cheers Philomel... promising is true... just not sure what its promising yet! lol

Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.