Canna pests

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I have something eating the canna leaves, any suggestions on what it is and what to do. I have never had this problem before.
Thanks
Joyce

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

I have not tried this yet as I have had very few bugs this spring.
Probably due to my very cold April.
No complains on this though .. lol :-))))

But this product comes highly recommended from friends who use it.
You can find at Walmart, Lowes, and like.

Spectracide Triazicide
Spectracide :: Triazicide Once & Done! Insect Killer Concentrates - 10415 - 10410

Keeping the bugs at bay is important to enjoy your beautiful cannas.
Hoping this helps.
Alice

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Joyce, Alice knows her stuff very well, so I'm sure that product will do the trick. Sounds like you probably have leaf rollers. I try to steer from strong chemicals, and I've found that a spray bottle mix of water, a bit of dish soap (sorry, I don't measure, just make it good and soapy) or orange concentrate cleaner (found at health food stores) will do a very good job. You do have to reapply though, and that stuff Alice mentioned is probably more of a one shot deal.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Tropicanna,
One of the good things about many oi the new treatments and insecticides, is their focus towards low toxicity and few applications.
The systemic ones are absorbed by the plant and do their work there.

I appreciate the low toxicity get it done focus.
As a grower who grows mostly organic and a wildlife habitat in sito, I am always worried about what I use.
I haven't tried the Spectracide Triazicide yes ..as I have not had the need.
But friends in the south who always have trouble with bugs have well recommended it.
I don't know it's toxicity level, but will check that out.

Bayer has come out with some terrific low toxicity products the past year that I have tried and have worked very well. Those I have been very pleased to have.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a large bed of cannas. I was out this wkend in between the rain & noticed that several of my leaves were 'rolled'.
I thought leaf rollers ate the leaf they were on. Is this not true?
I unrolled each that I saw. Mind you, I have some Mexican cannas that are as tall as my house. I was so afraid that I would break the stalk just trying to unroll them. I'm short. lol
I looked carefully inside each leaf & found nothing other that a dirty, scriveling leaf on the inside. I did notice that the rolled leaf was very methodically sealed by what looked like it had been 'whipped' to secure it. Sewing term 'whipped', like to whip in a temporary hem.
Does any of this match anyone else's problem?
:~)

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Yeah, those are leaf rollers...lol, they eat the leaves too.

Abutilon, appreciate the information. We just found a type of organic bug dust that is supposed to work well. We haven't tried it yet as the bugs haven't gotten quite bad yet, but it seems to cover about everything. If I figure out the name...lol...and if it works I'll pass it along.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

you can use BT or diatomaceous earth. both are pet and kid friendly and won't harm anything else. if you have a butterfly garden, don't spray the BT on those plants as it will kill all caterpillars. get the diatomaceous earth in garden grade, not pool grade.

Decatur (Atlanta), GA(Zone 7b)

I have had leaf rollers year after year.
When you unroll the leaf the worm drops to the ground instantly.
That is why you never see the worm. If you hold the leave horizontally while unrolling the leaf you can some times catch the muther.
I am so happy to learn of a control. I had looked at the Spectracide
product but didn't see leaf roller listed so put it back. Ah but now I know ...Look out you little critters, HEEeee!

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

My cannas are very infested with these @%#&*&*#@ things! I had some Bayer Advanced powder and put it on them. I also had some triazacide but didn't know that I could use it on plants. If the Bayer doesn't do the trick I'll do the triazacide next week.

Anne

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

you really should try the BT spray. it only kills the rollers and is so safe and friendly for the garden.

BT?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Bacillus thuringiensis, it's a larvacide, the same stuff that's in mosquito dunks, very safe.

Where I get it?

Anne

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

it's most often in a brown bottle labeled Thuracide, available at home & garden centers, ace hardware garden section, lowes, etc. i mix 1 tablespoon per spray bottle, shake and spray on leaves. (it stinks) the catapillars ingest the leaf and the bt gives them a stomach ache and they quit eating immediately and starve to death. i use it every year at the first sign of eaten leaves and it works. you have to re-apply every so often, but it's not like every day.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

You can get it in dust form, dipel dust, and shake it on them, I am using it trying to save all my passies right now.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I had some severly munched leaves on one canna a few summers back, but didn't see any leaf roller signs. A closer inspection and some 'ouches' later I discovered saddleback caterpillars! Never had seen them before, never seen them since.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

yow! and ouch!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I also have something munching on my baby canna leaves that are just coming off the ground, it's driving me nuts! But I don't see any "webbing" at all....it doesn't seem to be leafrollers. Would BT take care of other stuff as well?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

it only takes care of cats and certain larvae of flys, like sawfly. you won't see webbing with canna rollers.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I meant, the silky stuff that wraps around the rolled leaves....I see no signs of silky stuff...just little round holes....is that still leafrollers or something else you think?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

canna rollers don't make silky stuff. they just roll up in the leaf and chew. when the leaf finally unrolls, you will see a line across of almost perfect holes. if the ends of the leaves are chewed and ragged, you have something else eating them.

edited to add that apparently they do make the silky stuff. i personally have never seen it, just holes. look at the second picture and you can see the holes going across in a line. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/images/WMJ-3057%2520%3D%2520Canna%2520leaf%2520roller%2520damage,%2520resized_small.GIF&imgrefurl=http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/f%26b_11.htm&h=213&w=285&sz=50&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=9x6JpsJDsdAMKM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=115&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcanna%2Bleaf%2Broller%2Bdamage%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

This message was edited Apr 9, 2008 8:08 PM

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

@$#W&^^(O*&*&%$^% !!!! THAT'S WHAT I HAVE !!! Thanks trackinsand!!! Argh!!! I AM GETTING Bt TODAY!!! Do they sell it at stores like Lowes and Home depot ?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

yes they do. i get mine at ace usually. look for bacillus thurengsomething. it comes in a brown bottle and smells terrible but a tablespoon per gallon or in a squirt bottle will take care of them. don't forget-they don't drop dead, but they will and they stop eating right away (the important thing)

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Trackinsand, is Bt pet safe? Do you just spray it on the leaves or the ground around plant bases also?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

totally pet safe. you spray it on the leaves especially where you are seeing the damage. it will soak in a last for a while. if you start to see damage again, that's the time to spray. you can put it in outdoor ponds and tanks for mosquito control and it won't even harm fish or frogs. that particular one is a different strain than the one for cats but they all work the same way.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I am getting Bt today! die little %^$#^%$#! die! lol

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

they will! LOL

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

"I'll be back!" LoL!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Noooooooooooooo!!! hahaha

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

yessssssssss!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i tried to find a picture of my cannas from a couple of years ago. i had to move them. they were taking over the garden!

Thumbnail by trackinsand

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.