Quick growing

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I've got some area cleaned out yesterday in the cutting garden and was wondering what I could plant for fall cutting besides suns and zinnas.

P

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I like some of the smaller celosias. They are not real flashy but they grow quickly and make a pretty fall flower. I may still have some seed if you need?

http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/viewentry/110263/

I also have one in a purple (first year) and it hasn't bloomed yet but it also has purple foliage. Globe Amaranth is a common one that grows quickly and cuts but I bet you have that one already.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

so it was only 11 days ago I clean garden area but we've gotten so much rain and I've had so much to harvest from veggie garden for market that my area is weedy again.

Thanks pod,for the offer. I have some more cleoisa seed,Sparkler series I believe.My Pygmy Torch has already gone to seed.....ah well,I can shake out the seed for next year and dry the flowerheads. I believe I have some gompherna too.

P

I am jealous for the rain. I keep lots in pots and in a watering frenzy. Hope it rains before the 4th with fireworks. Folks just are too responsible.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

pod,
I'd cheerfully send you some of this rain if it was in my power. We've gotten even more.

I put in a very nice large flower bed for one of our local old school's that was put back into use to provide after school tutoring and activities.It was filling in beautifully and blooming heavily but it's dying because of all the rain. Guess I'll have to re-do it in the fall and see if we can get funds for blocks somewhere to build a nice raised bed.

P

Yes, I was just thinking even most of Texas could stand to use raised beds. Seeing as it is a volunteer project, you might scrounge donated blocks or timbers from a construction site or maybe even rocks?

And I'll take what rain you could spare... just pull the plug and send it south. : ))

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

pod,
I'll leave that to the school's manager. She can hit the loacal big companies for donations. We have a big paper mill here that will usually help a worthy cause.

P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.