Heat & drought resistant clematis?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Hi all,
I'm new to the clematis forum, although I've been a fan of the vines for years. I live out in Tucson where it's too hot and dry for any of the "traditional" clematis to make it. However, I was just at my favorite nursery and they had some new French hybrid Clematis viticella plants (in all sorts of glorious colors), which are supposed to be more tolerant of our local conditions.

I'm wondering if anyone's tried growing any of these new hybrids, particularly in hot dry locations? I'd love to know if they are a real improvement, or just some clever marketing to take advantage of eternally optimistic gardeners... :)

Thanks!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry that no one has gotten back to you. Viticellas are one of the easier clematis to grow but none are drought resistant. I have Negritianka against a south facing wall and it does very well but of course it's not as dry here. Etoile Rose grows pretty well here but it does tend to mildew if I don't use the Messenger. Etoile Violette is a better choice.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks, doss--I appreciate the feedback! I'm not in a big hurry to do anything, I refuse to dig holes in this heat and dry. So, until the rains start, I'm just dreaming of blooming things!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Ah, dream away. My Etoile Rose is blooming right now and it's lovely.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill:

Regardless of which Clematis you choose for your garden, Fall would be the best time to plant them in your garden. Doss, is correct in suggesting the Viticellas (Group 3) because they are resistant to Clematis Wilt. No Clematis is drought tolerant. You'll need to mulch and keep your Clematis well watered. They should give you at least 3 seasons of bloom in your growing zone.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

I've got a pretty good location picked out for it, I think. Dappled shade for most of the day, easy site to hook up to the drip irrigation line, and an easy place to mulch. I'm pretty excited, and I sure appreciate the good advice I'm getting from the clematis pros!

Thanks!
Jill

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

The dappled shade will help. Good luck! Everybody deserves at least one clematis!

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Jill, you could try Clematis texensis. Despite no measurable rain for the past 3 weeks and 90 degree F temperatures in the month of June, I have a texensis cultivar 'Duchess of Albany' growing vigorously and flowering profusely. Its roots are shaded by some purple-leaf sand cherry bushes, but the rest of the clematis is in sun all day. The soil it grows in is mostly sand and gravel (ice-age glacial moraine), but we are in a valley bottom so there is a high water table.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

I just looked up the c. texensis on PlantFiles--lovely! I don 't think they've got it at my nursery, however, and I suspect we're too hot--zone 9 and it only goes up to zone 8. Still, maybe after I've gotten the hang of this whole clematis thing, I might have to branch out (no pun intended...) :)

Shirley1md, when you said "wait till fall", can you give me a little more specific advice? Are we talking a specific temp range, or just "cooler" temps?

Thanks!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jill..I have a friend in Phoenix that is growing clematis..he said he grows them in morning sun/shade and stays ontop of the watering..he only grows the viticella's/pruning group 3's..I don't see why "Texensis" or any of it's hybrids won't grow there for you ? Fall planting is more advantageous because of the cooler weather and for you and I ..much cooler and wetter for me..so the roots can adapt before my winter closes in...Jeanne

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

so these will live over winter? I've been thinking about adding one to the front of my house but it faces east so would only get morning sun.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Jeanne, maybe it would grow and thrive; the spot I'm looking at tends to be one of the cooler locales. I think, though, for my first attempt I'm going to go with one of the viticellas my local (and exceptionally fine) nursery carries. Perhaps once I become a clematis addict, I'll go for it!

I figured I wanted the cooler temps, but how cool? We'll be hot for a long time, it's the end of October before we can reliably count on temperature highs less than 100. Do I have to wait that long?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Jill go for it. Read my post on clematis my angel. I thas done wonderfully for me and I am at least 10 degrees hotter than you. :o)

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Lynne..yes they come back each year hon..and bigger and better than ever..please plant one there..you'll love it..clematis here can take alot less sun than most sites tell you they need!!..
Marie..good for you to post in about this...since you live there..was my advice spot on?...My Angel is an awesome clematis..please share pics one day...Jeanne

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Well here is an ok picture. I keep missing the open blooms. I planted this not realizing how big it would get. I also planted the mallow that it has decided to take over from a quart size pot last fall. The two of them are fighting to prove who is the biggest and best.

Thumbnail by Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is the whole picture of the area it is growing. I had planted my angel under a small obelisk that can no longer be seen.

Thumbnail by Desertdenial5
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Wow, Marie! Awesome, as always :) So, what's your advice on when to plant? Assuming I can wait that long, that is!

This message was edited Jul 2, 2007 8:33 AM

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

You need to wait until fall. Any of the ones I tried planting in spring have kind of gone dormant so to speak. I know as soon as it cools off here they will start growing. Are you going to the Desert Survivors sale on the 14th of July? I will be there first think in the am and then off to MVG.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh, I see--it's that patience thing again! Sigh... was just at MVG and drooling, but I restrained myself. Thoughts of what I would have to do to get anything in the ground in this heat helped.

I'm hoping to go to the Desert Survivors sale, but still have to negotiate with DH about weekend schedules and kid-watching. With a little luck I can go, and meet some of all my new DG friends!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I hope to see you there!! Tell him it is a life threatening emergency. That you will fade away if you cannot join us!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

He might just offer to deadhead me.... :)

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

LOL!!!

Jill:

Wait until your temperatures stay consistently below 100 degrees. Start planting at the end of October/ beginning of November. Much better to wait and have your Clematis thrive when the temps are cooler and moisture (hopefully) is more abundant. If you don't get adequate rainfall, then you'll need to be diligent about watering.

Start off with Viticellas, as they are a good choice because they are resistant to Clematis Wilt. Texensis varieties also tolerate a lot of heat, so I would try them as well.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Can do (I think!), and thanks for all the great advice! I'm looking forward to the fall!

Best of luck, Jill.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.