Lasagna bed too rich????

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

I built two lasagna beds last fall, the usual way, including cow manure (lots). I suspect that I may not have had enough brown material in it, because here is my problem:

My tomatoes are huge and almost all green, hardly any flowers, the green beans are luscious green with big leaves and very few beans. However, the peppers are not doing well, one is sick and I may post separately about that. The eggplant are also big and leafy but do have some blooms.

If my diagnosis is correct, i.e. too much nitrogen, is there anything I can do to fix it - somewhat? And what would you advise me to do in the fall with these beds? What do you think about hydrated lime?

Many thanks for your guidance!!

C.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I have "lasagnaed" several areas in my yard in the past few years and not had that problem. My beds tend to be high on the green side (grass clippings) because I'm just stingy in "spending" my precious browns, like leaves. Occasionally my beds have been so tilted toward green that they end up stinky, but I still have not had your problem.

I thought that once things compost, their actual nutrient value is very low, and their real value is more as a soil amendment.

Did you fertilize this bed or these plants at all?

Karen

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Karen: No, I did not fertilize the bed at all. What I did do, however, was that I put a trowel-full of compost into each planting hole along with some soil, because I thought the bed was not decomposed enough.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.