Hot, smelly compost pile

Sandwich, NH

At Day #2 since its creation, my 3x4x4 compost pile is 160 degrees and a bit smelly, like grass/sewer. I know that with an established pile that means it's out of whack, but is it a sign that something is wrong if it smells while it's cooking? Is the fact that it's cooking an indication that all is well? It's not a wretched stench, it's just noticable as you approach.

There are a lot of grass clippings in the pile -- a big garbage-bag's worth -- but there's also lots of straw and brown stems etc. from spring garden cleanup. Also, I spread the grass thinly throughout the pile so it didn't get matted.

The carbon/nitrogen ratio thing is perplexing to me, so I winged it with the proportions of browns and greens. This is my first hot pile (and my second pile ever!) and I've got newbie curiosity about it.

Any words of experience most welcome.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

It's probably a little heavy on the green, but no problem unless the odor bothers you or your family or your neighbors. 160 degrees is hot, another indication of lots of green. It might also be a little too wet.

None of these things is a big deal unless it's bothersome to someone. It will still rot, and quickly at that temp.

The longer you do it, the more you'll get the hang of it. But even though I've been composting for years, I still get a stinky pile occasionally. It's in the back of the yard, not near any houses, no problem.

Karen

Sandwich, NH

Hi Karen,

Thanks a lot for your reply. That was just the information/assurance that I realized I was looking for.

The pile isn't near any neighbors, so I guess I'll just let it cook away. After reading about hot piles but never experiencing one, it's really fun to have a doosy!

Thanks again,
Rebecca

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Rebecca: If you have straw (or dry leaves, something brown) covering the pile with straw will eliminate the odor.

Karen

Sandwich, NH

I'll try that. Thanks again!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Good for you! Wait until it happens in winter and you can see the steam coming off of it....

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

It might be the nitrogen escaping (oh no!). Here's a quote from my favorite online book: http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0302hsted/030202/03020203.html

"It is also possible to err on the opposite end of the scale and make a pile with too much nitrogen. This heap will heat very rapidly, become as hot as the microbial population can tolerate, lose moisture very quickly, and probably smell of ammonia, indicating that valuable fixed nitrogen is escaping into the atmosphere. When proteins decompose their nitrogen content is normally released as ammonia gas. Most people have smelled small piles of spring grass clippings doing this very thing. Ammonia is always created when proteins decompose in any heap at any C/N. But a properly made compost pile does not permit this valuable nitrogen source to escape." Organic Gardener's Composting by Steve Solomon, © 1993 Steve Solomon.

You can also cover the pile with dirt to catch the ammonia.
I hope it's OK to quote? Joe.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Can't see why it wouldn't be, you gave the source....

Won't aerating it further help?

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

If it's not too strong smelling, I wouldn't worry about it. Adding straw would help the carbon / nitrogen ratio and areate. If it's anaerobic (not enough air) it will smell foul like rotting eggs (hydrogen sulfide) instead of ammonia. Steve Solomon has a good description of the smells of the various problems in chapter 3 "Hot Composting".

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.