Vertically Challenged White Daisy Wanted!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I planted some Bijou and Arizona Gallardia and wanted to plant some white (shasta looking) daisies with them. I haven't found any that are short and that bloom all summer. I checked out the "mat" daisy but they have a very short bloom time. Any ideas? Thanks!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have heard of people pinching back Shasta Daises, maybe someone who has will say how well it works.

Conway, SC

Shasta daisies will grow 3-4 ' tall. I don't think that pinching them back would work.
Have you considered the white dahlia that blooms all summer and also has the matted look you want. They will only grow to be 6-8" tall. Very pretty and they do look like a white shasta daisy.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/73322/

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks, BSD! I should've mentioned that I want prennials...

Conway, SC

SusieR
Dahlia are perennials. There is also a zinnia that looks like a shasta daisy. They are not perennials but reseed easily.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/59636/

You can find these at Walmarts or Lowe's. Good luck!!

Hilliard, OH

My current Fine Gardening magazine lists some shorter shasta daisy cultivars: 'Snowcap' 15" and 'Little Miss Muffet' 12"

Jomejamo

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I grow 'Silver Princess' Shasta Daisy (from purchased seed) and it is a smaller plant (less than 24").

- Brent

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I have had good luck with snow lady . Less than 12'' tall .It is in bloom now and will give me a second bloom if cut back. The one on the right is typical the left one for some reason is is taller 16''.They are two of four the others are all 12''or less.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

What daisies bloom prolifically all summer?

Conway, SC

SusieR,
This is a zinnia that looks like a daisy. You can purchase them in pink, orange, yellow, and white. They will bloom all summer if you keep them deadheaded. Also, they are easily grown from seed.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/255/

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks, BSD!

I actually have some of these planted (I bought a 4-pack) and do like them. I got a deal on some daisies (I think Snowcap) but don't know that I am going to plant them. I like the zinnias a bit better. I wanted perennials because I'm sick of planting annuals every year. I'm not sure where to go with this one but I'll think about it. Do the zinnias reseed themselves? Thanks!

Conway, SC

I kept mine deadheaded until the end of summer and they bloomed continuously. I then let them turn to seed and they self seeded. Then I got lazy and just started buying the 4-pack each year. We also used these at a school butterfly garden and they got very little care and returned each year. I especially like their mounding effect. I love the daisy when it is in full bloom and the fact that it is a perennial but if it is a longer bloom time that you desire, I'd go with the zinnia.
Good luck!

Galva, IA

I bought Little Miss Muffet shasta daisy from a mail order company. 3 plants, all of which grew the first season, but only 1 survived the first winter. It is now in its 3rd year and is a very tightly packed low clump about 14 in in diameter. Very nice size white daisy blooms. I cut back the spent blossoms, now it appears that new foliage and buds are appearing at one side of the clump. I was hoping it would rebloom throughout the season but will have to wait and see. We live in zone 4, and have mulched it each of its first 2 winters. It is a nice border plant, but I don't think it may be one that will be covered with blossoms all summer.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Crazy daisy is also a pretty flower. This is the first year, so I'm not seeing alot of flowers yet, but there is usually one in bloom. It is about 18" high.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Susie, you might also want to consider Kim's mophead - a dwarf white coneflower.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.