food preservation: dehydration

Greensboro, AL

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-American-FD-75PR-700-Watt-Dehydrator/dp/B000FFVJ3C/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-7245592-9713418?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1182622695&sr=1-1

Over the years I have preserved garden produce a number of ways, and I much prefer dehydration for most vegetables. They taste better. They store compactly. They don't require a lot of paraphernalia for processing, and they taste better than frozen or canned come January. The key to success though is rapid processing and safe storage.

I found with a homemade sun dryer the peaches molded before they were dry.

Earlier, I had a large capacity food dryer that would process bushels at a time.
Now as a single person, I don't want to switch to frozen food (which is not reliable in my area due to electrical outages), and canning is too much trouble for a single person and a lot of nutrients are lost in processing, anyway. So i began looking for a practical way to dry celery, onions, and mushrooms for soup. Tomatoes and peppers. Squash and pumpkin. And, dried okra is one of my favorites, just for a crunchy snack. Pears and peaches. Black berry fruit leather to break into my yogurt. MMMM. This is what I will have on my shelf for winter eating.

And, I have nearly decided that the dehydrator in the link above,as the one I need to suit my needs.

This thread has 267 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!