Heucheras in the Garden Today

Finger Lakes, NY(Zone 6a)

We finally had a cooler day after a little rain and I decided to take some heuch photos in my garden, so here goes...

Lime Rickey

Thumbnail by rsquared

my weakest link...Sunspot

Thumbnail by rsquared

Snow Angel

Thumbnail by rsquared

Crimson Curls

Thumbnail by rsquared

Prince of Silver

Thumbnail by rsquared

Marmalade

Thumbnail by rsquared

Stoplight

Thumbnail by rsquared

Petite Pearl Fairy

Thumbnail by rsquared

Obsidian

Thumbnail by rsquared

Amber Waves

Thumbnail by rsquared

Silver Scrolls

Thumbnail by rsquared
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

You have a very lovely collection!!!!!

Parma, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi rsquared
It's hard to make out in the pictures but what kind of light intensity
Do you have these plants in? Sun/Part Sun? Part Shade/Shade?
They look extremely healthy.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Very nice!
Nice arrangements and combinations with the other plants, too.

Pretoria, South Africa

rsquared,

I am so jealous! One just doesn't find Heucheras in South Africa. Anyway I haven't seen them in any of the garden centres I frequent... Would love to add a few to my garden. absolutely beautiful.....

Elsa

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

rsquared, very nice gardens you have! Great photos.....have you entered them into the PlantFiles?

All of these heucheras are in my "shade" garden. This garden gets morning sun, but by 10 or 11 AM becomes filtered and by 1 or 2 PM is in the shade. Three of them (Sunspot, Lime Ricky, and Obsidian) get late afternoon sun too, and I should note those are my least "happy" ones. LimeR is doing better this year, but the other two may need to be moved.

I think I will add them to the plant files...since you brought it up.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I tend to moan about our short growing season here, but this is one plant that seems to really like our climate.

Oh I should also mention that these are all in a raised bed near a Black Walnut tree. BW's juglone is death to most plants, but either the heuchs don't mind or the raised bed is saving them...the heuchs closest the tree are my oldest and healthiest...go figure.

Thumbnail by rsquared
The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

You give us hope. We purchased a 'Bressingham Hybrid' from the local garden shop and are hoping it does as well as yours are doing. Your photos are great. The plants look so healthy and full.

We purchased ours last week, with no blooms or buds on it. So far, it's just sitting there, looking small and green.

Parma, OH(Zone 5b)

RSquared,
That's an excellent looking shade garden. Seems like a lot of thought
went into the planning. Very neat and orderly. I am a little more of a
haphazard planter. You know, "Oh this will look nice here" Give me an
open spot and I will find just the right plant.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Rose,

I was at Palmatier this weekend and they had a whole new selection of heucheras including GingerAle.

MollyD

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Our visiting neighborhood baby squirrels dug up and totally destroyed (not even roots left) two of mine this week - Marmalade and Venus....I'm so bummed.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow, I didn't know squirrels would do that. Are they red squirrels? They can be very destructive.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

No, they're the gray monsters. Only the babies are destructive at our house though. While Mom eats, they tear around my gardens.

MollyD - where is Palmatier? Went to a great hosta grower on Monday. I had a ball and he even gave me a garden tour, oolala. I bought a couple of new hostas and will have to cut in another bed for more, especially if I can find Ginger Ale.

fleurguy - I am an organized gardener of sorts. I just keep moving the poor plants around if they get too big or tall. I want order even when I don't know what I am doing...my own version of haphazard is impatience or stupidity. I have fun though!

Thanks again. I think heucheras are gorgeous easy plants to grow...a foliage lovers dream come true....and they mind their manners and stay where they were planted and roughly true to size...good for the "_____" retentive gardener in me.

Rose

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Rose,

It's in Avon on rt 39 off 20 ( just a few miles down the road on the left).

MollyD

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Rose,

It's in Avon on rt 39 off 20 ( just a few miles down the road on the left).
Was this hosta grower local?

MollyD

MollyD - sorry for the late reply. i jsut got back from vacation and my computer was at the techno geek hospital (loaded with viruses and junk.) The hosta grower is in Ellisburg NY, between Syracuse and Watertown. What a great place.

Rose

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Ohhhh...Snow Angel is lovely! I have only started with heucheras. So far I have Caramel (seems to be super hardy), Amethyst Mist, and Can Can. Love them already. Keep up the great pictures!
Bev

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Rose,

I bought Gingerale and it's now in one of my hosta beds. I'm looking forward to seeing it's color next spring since right now most of my heucheras seem to be almost the same color!

MollyD

I would like to find French Quarter.

I told my husband I wanted it and he laughed and told me I needed it like a "hole in your head." Oh well, I'm still looking.

Rose

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

There was a thread here recently by someone who said Emminence would have it this summer. Can't tell you how much it was or what size. I hear their plants aren't very big. If you don't find it elsewhere you might check with them.

MollyD

Still unavailable there. I keep checking though! Thanks for the info and by the way I enjoyed your website.

Rose

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it :-)

MollyD

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Anybody have h. starry night? I saw it in a Plants Delight catalog from 2005, and haven't seen it since. Why did I not get that when I could have???
Bev

Bev

I just did a quick google search and found it for sale at http://www.paradisegarden.com

not cheap but there. I will look some more.

Rose

This message was edited Jul 11, 2007 4:39 PM

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Rose. I just followed your link and looked at it. You are right about the price...PDN is usually quite $$, but even they had it for $12. It may turn out to be worth it, though. The picture in the PDN catalog is even more exciting than the one at Paradise. I guess it can wait, but not forever, right? ;-)
Bev

bev

I also found it at http://www.bigdipperfarm.com

for $11

This site also carries the Midnight Rose I have been himming and hawing about. I would like to save on shipping and order it with French Quarter.

Good luck with your wish list.

Rose

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you, Rose! I'm going to check it out...Are they going to have FQ in the fall as well? That's kinda the holy grail in heuchera world right now, isn't it?

edited 'cause I can't spell!

This message was edited Jul 27, 2007 6:17 PM

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

That's odd, I couldn't find it at either place

Kelly

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Seems like several folks have snow angel. I somehow magically came home with one the other day (ooops! ;) kind of on a whim without any plan of where to plant it. How much sun do you find it tolerates?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.