Who knocked?

Klamath River, CA

Right after this pic was taken, she went out and got a fluffy feather for the nest. She had to make several attempts to get the feather into the house but she finally made it.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

Oh how great! I see them flying all over the place here.

Belgrave Ont, Canada

I have a birdhouse that looks like yours.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2007 4:11 PM

Thumbnail by cranbrook2
Belgrave Ont, Canada

Here is one more

Thumbnail by cranbrook2
Belgrave Ont, Canada

OK one more. lol

Thumbnail by cranbrook2
Marlton, NJ

Really nice cran! Is that 1 birdhouse or 2 with openings on both ends and a wall in the middle?

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Fabulous photos!!!

Belgrave Ont, Canada

Thanks pelletory and Murmer
This bird house has 3 apartments.
One at each end and one in the center.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Very cool birdhouse (apartment)!

Adelbertcat, is your like that as well?

Klamath River, CA

No. Mine is a single.

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi guys,

Is that a tree swallow? I have swallows, too, but I've never ever seen one land. How high up are your birdhouses? I've always seen the swallows flying around, but they fly so high up that I can't tell what kind I have. Any pointers on identifying these fast flyers while they're in the sky? (Nice pix and houses, btw!)

~Kris

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

Ooops, I just found the answers to my questions in your other posts, adelbertcat! Tree Swallow and 12 ft high, lol. Guess I got a little too excited and posted too quickly. I would love to hear from anyone who has any ideas on how to ID swallows that never land, though. ;)

~Kris

Marlton, NJ

Here's a page on Barn Swallows
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Barn_Swallow.html

Here's Tree Swallows
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Tree_Swallow.html

There are more, I'll find them soon.

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks pelletory! As luck would have it, I was just outside and one flew quite low - almost at eye level. It was still fast, but I did see a long forked tail, so I now know for sure that we have Barn Swallows! Woo-hoo! I've been trying for a few weeks to see their tails closely! I think we may have other swallows, too (I'm thinking we have Cliff and maybe Tree), but at least I know one for sure now! The links you gave helped, too, because the song of the Barn Swallow is familiar. The others weren't so much or at all. =D

~Kristy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.