Biostack Composter

Springdale, AR(Zone 6b)

Been studying this forum for a while. I've seen many favorable comments on the Biostack composter. Being limited in yard space I thought this would fit my needs rather well. Lots of folks on the forum indicated these were available at Lowe's.

So I go to Lowe's this afternoon and queried the young fellers in the garden section as to the whereabouts of their compost bins. The first young man had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. He asked a co-worker who again had no idea what I wanted. They resorted to calling management on the phone and management apparently interpreted my request into the appropriate language because the first young man's face brightened noticeably and he said, "oh yeah, the black thingies." Pointing across the way (and right under my nose) he said "Sir, are those black thingies what you are talking about?" Indeed, in a tidy stack, were the Biostack composters. I thanked him for a job well done and made my purchase.

I just thought this was rather amusing and had to share. Can't wait to get started on composting!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Good luck with your thingie! What would they call compost??

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

That is too funny!!!! I have been looking for the Biostack locally without much success - and am too cheap to pay for shipping. I will go back to Lowes today and ask for the "black thingie" and let you know if it makes a difference!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

The Biostack is great; I love mine and now have 2 of them. You can buy them at Smith and Hawkin stores if you have one locally. My store sells them as fast as they get them in. I had them special order one for me and it took less than a week.

Karen

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I purchased my first compost bin at a county sponsored sale when I was living in Michigan...must have been around 1995. I moved outside of Seattle for a few years and composting and recycling are heavily supported by the local governments. When I moved to Virginia in 2000 I was met with the same blank stares when I asked about compost bins at Home Depot...but it was more than a language thing, they just did not stock them. Luckily I was able to pick up a compost bin from Costco and another one a few years later at a county sponsored sale. These days the big boxes are more likely to stock bins, and I even recall seeing some with the MiracleGro brand slapped on them!

The Bio-Stack bins look pretty nice. I have one Earth Machine brand and one Soil Saver brand. Maybe not as nice as the Bio-Stack but the price was right.

- Brent

Naperville, IL(Zone 5a)

The Biostack is the one with the Miracle Gro logo on it and is sold at Lowes and Smith &Hawken but it costs less at Lowes, especially if you have to have the S&H one shipped to you. Smith & Hawken is a division of Scotts Miracle-Gro Company.

We just bought two this year and I love them, I can't wait for our first batch of finished compost.

Springdale, AR(Zone 6b)

I turned my pile today in my Biostack. Man, it was hot! It looked like the grass clippings had actually cooked! It was about 85 degrees outside, and I actually had steam coming off of the pile. I was pleased!

Bryan

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm new to composting and I got a Biostack a couple of months ago.. I LOVE IT. It is amazing how much it will hold! I am ready to use some of the stuff that I think is finished.. it won't get hot unless I add new material.. and I wanna start over again.
When I first started, it got too green and too wet so I got some hamster litter at Walmart. 1 pkg filled in the whole mess. I mixed in with the new grass clippings.. wow did that improve the smell or what? LOL The dark brown crumbled stuff smells great.
Now I use shredded newspaper as I add clippings. It takes a while to learn what will do what.. Too much kitchen stuff will attract flies.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.