fertilizing iris during the summer

Decatur, GA

Do I fertilize my iris in the summer? They had a hard time this spring (that late frost) but mostly came through ok. I am giving them a lot of water as we are having a severe drought right now (I live in Atlanta). I want to make them stronger but don't know if now is the time to feed. And if I fed, would it be something like 20-20-20-? Or is there special iris food? Ok, I'm really new to this.
Any input would be appreciated.
Best,
Ann

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Ann, I am currently dealing with an overfertilization problem in my garden that may take years to correct, so I will STRONGLY advise you NOT to add any fertilizer to your garden without first having a soil test run to verify the need. Your local garden center, feed store, or state extension agent will be able to tell you how to submit a soil sample for testing.

Overfertilizing can poison both your soil and your plants, so you are much safer to err on the side of underfertilizing. You can always apply more fertilizer if a soil test identifies the need, but you can't remove it if you inadvertantly apply too much.

Test first, then fertilize if necessary.

Laurie

Decatur, GA

Thanks Laurie-
I have since read on the Schreiners Garden site that I should wait till September to fertilize and that I should probably use more bone meal. Also, I may be watering too much. I can do the soil test (I had a garden in collage and we did soil tests) but would a hygrometer do almost as well-am I checking for the ph of the soil?
best,
Ann

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

A soil test will check pH as well as phosphorous and potassium levels in the soil. Other tests may be run, as well, but you'd have to check with the lab to see exactly what they check during their soil analysis.

Don't add bone meal (phosphorous) until you know that your soil needs it. High phosphorous can cause significant problems in plants.

If you are growing bearded irises, be very careful NOT to overwater. Beardeds can easily rot if overwatered. You should allow their soil to dry out between waterings, though you probably don't need to be watering them at all. Beardeds are very drought tolerant.

Laurie

Decatur, GA

Hi Laurie-
Yes, I am growing bearded iris. I have been watering them every five days or so since we have had almost no rain in two months. Some of the fronds are turning brown and I was worried that they were dying. Also, the rhizomes are visible-should I put a fine layer of topsoil on them? One last question-we had such a temperate winter that most of the fronds stayed green the whole time. Should I have cut these green leaves off when it's cold? I had always heard that it's best to let the fronds die down on their own to give the plant more strength. I'm a real novice, I guess.
Best,
Ann

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I never cut off healthy, green foliage. You are correct in your understanding that green leaves continue to feed the plant.

Iris leaves will turn brown and die eventually on their own, but browning leaves can also be a sign of overwatering, overfertilization, rot, or other diseases. Remove dead, dying, or diseased leaves or parts of leaves and burn or trash them. Do NOT compost.

It's fine that the rzs are visible. No need to cover them with soil.

Laurie

Decatur, GA

Thanks for all your advice-I really appreciate it. I have these beautiful Schreiner's iris and am determined to take good care of them.
Best,
Ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.