I love this plant ...

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

the bulb was given to me a couple of years ago and it finally bloomed. If only I knew what it was!

Thumbnail by Artgal
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Very Pretty!
Looks like Crinum Lily, milk & wine. Mine has just started to bloom also, I will take a picture. I think there are different varieties of milk & wine that make the center vein color anywhere from pink to dark magenta. It could also be a completly different variety. We need a crinum expert?

chris

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Mine fell over from the weight of the flowers, is that normal?

Mine is in full blazing sun all day. It seems to droop some during the very hot times, like now in this picture. In a couple of hours it will perk straight out and up again.

I would post your picture and questions in the amaryllis and hippeastrums forum. Thats where the experts are. :)

This message was edited Jun 21, 2007 4:47 PM

Thumbnail by chris_lcf530
Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Chris. I looked up images of Crinum and there's no mistaking that's what my plant is. I'll take your advice and post the picture on the amaryllis and hippeastrums forum. Ain't life grand? The surprises are some of my favorite things about gardening!

Great plant, beautiful flowers. I love Crinums and Amaryllis.
Was a nice gift someone gave you!

chris

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Just beautiful! Such a soft color. Love it!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Just beeutiful... I just brought some back from my Mom's in Florida. Think they are white. Hope they smell wonderful too. I love good smellin' flowers.
Elaine

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

It was identified on the amaryllis and hippeastrums forum as a crinum x herbetti (not sure what that means) milk and wine - an heirloom dating back to the 19th century (from Florida?) It hasn't lasted long and I was fortunate to take the photo in its prime. I didn't detect any scent. The friend who I thought donated it, doesn't think it was her but whoever did, was very generous.

Thomson, GA

I love it and want one. As a matter of fact, I was just about to post a picture on the Crinium forum and ask about transplanting -when is a good time. I have come across some in bloom at an abandoned property and would like to give them a good home, but I don't want to dig them at the wrong time. Aren't they sad looking? I hate to see plants neglected. I find myself deadheading flowers at all the foreclosed houses I inspect.

Thumbnail by guardians
Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Good luck with the adoption process, Guardians!

Greensboro, AL

crinims are indeed heirloom plants. As an archeologist, I have surveyed historic archeological sites (sites condemned for domestic use to be turned into dams, reservoirs, highways, nuclear plants etc).
throughout the southeast. Crinims are often one of the plants still remaining at old house sites, long after the occupants are gone. Especially, the "milk-and-wine' crinums.

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

beautiful flowers!!!!!!

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

the foliage looks like what one of my unknown plants is. we found this unknown at our home growing at the edge of the yard line. an elderly lady used to live here and must of planted this. we moved it 2 summers ago and it still hasn't bloomed. its foliage is thriving lol. i had to cut the foliage back some 2 weeks ago as it was growing like wild and hanging all over my pea gravel walk way.

kelly

how long do these take to bloom after moving? i am so impatient lol.

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

I was given these two or three years ago and this is the first year they have bloomed.

Greensboro, AL

This is crinum powellii, a pink variety.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/733323/

Cordele, GA

Crinums will sometimes sulk for a while after being moved. They are wonderful plants. I found advice in an old garden book that recommended planting them 18 inches deep. Shallow planting encourages offsets, deep planting encourages blooms.

I am always amazed at the speed with which the scapes develop. I went to Birmingham to visit my mother and was gone five days. There was no sign of bloom the day I left and when I got back the was a three foot scape showing color.

This morning I was out walking around the bed pulling the weeds that were big enough that I could no longer ignore them, when I discovered a second bloom scape on the Crinum. This one must have developed after our last wind storm that brought branches down. It had grown up about five inches, turned down and grown into the loose soil, turned horizontal, and then headed back up. It did not quite make it up into the air before blooming, so the flowers opened, or tried to, under the sandy loam of the bed. The stem had made a complete circle. I could see scrapes in the epidermis where it had pushed along the pine branch and been scarred by the rough bark. Life is amazing.

Beth

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

This was IDd as a "milk 'n wine" but not the same as the Guardians adoption. Good luck BTW ~ when foliage dies down is the time to move them and be prepared to dig deep. lol

I think my Crinum is similar to Artgals but think this one is Crinum milk n 'wine x exotica. It is vintage ~ coming from a friend (who is 60 something) who got it from her Dads' old home place. I do love it. I have some in pots to return to her and some in ground. On some years, they refuse to bloom and others, they bloom well. Being in a pot doesn't seem to matter. This is a good year.

Thumbnail by podster
Greensboro, AL

podster: that one is a real treasure.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, I do love it as well as the history of it. Another bonus is the fragrance. Delicate but delightful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.