Pics from week June 17

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

The daily photo threads sort of waned, so here is the start of a weekly thread which might be easier to keep up with.

Here is Calendula Kablouna Yellow -- the seeds were from Mark in the UK.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

A double poppy from a trade/swap seed pack marked "Poppies - Red Mixed"

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Godetia -- also seed from a trade or swap. This is wonderful!!! I have a garden shot I'll post after this.

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Godetia with Agrostemma 'Milas' in the background...I love these 2 and had never heard of either of them before I joined DG!

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

I consider this my most successful pairing...it is annual Iberis and annual Phlox with some remnants of my winter pansies. In person it is sooo pretty. This is just an area 18" square, but I am going to make it 36" square next year.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

This is Cerinthe major and it is wonderful. It needs to have a big space allocated and it will get about 30 inches tall, even though the seedlings you plant out will be very, very small. The foliage color is very odd. Pretty. A dark glaucous blue with gray spots.

I put it near my Hummingboird feeder, which was bad. The bees are crazy for it (they crawl inside the flowers) and I'm afraid to get to my Hummingbird feeder to change it out.

Thumbnail by Illoquin

This is a shot of a section of garden...

Calendula, Bachelor Buttons, Rudbeckia hirta, and Lilies.

Thumbnail by Illoquin

I'm not thrilled with this daylily which was sold to me as 'Rainbow Eyes' (and maybe it is and I am not growing it well) but I thought the garden photo as a whole was worth posting.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

This is a pic of the Red Mix Poppies I got in a swap and some Lilium fromThe Lily Garden. These are North Hybrids - Asiatic 1cs.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Glorious, Suzy, absolutely glorious!!!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

amazingly lovely :)

Susan

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Mmm mm mmm - fabulous, Suzy!!! Love the Godetia (yeah - *never* heard of it!) and the Iberis planting. I thought Iberis only came in white...?

Thanks!

PC, Yes, Iberis is usually in white, and is a gangly thing....this is 'Dwarf Fairy Mix'. I loveit. Keep in mind on a lot of my annuals, they are cool season annuals and won't be happy when the warm nights come. I'm not sure what the garden will look like when they are finished because I went with big sweeps on some of them and the plants nearby won't be able to expand into the whole space. I tried to hold back some dahlias, but they didn't want to be held back.

Suzy

Silverado, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden. You have my dream garden.

Sherri

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

WAAAA!!! None of my Calendula Kablouna that I WS germinated! Your's is so beautiful! Fortunately, I did get my Cerinthe major to grow---it's awesome, isn't it?! I will definitely be growing it next year! Tamara

Tamara, Is yours flopping all over and growing like a crazy plant? I'm never sure if it's my lack of sun or if it's the plant habit itself. (I still love it,. tho)

Suzy

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Yep, floppy and wild...kinda perfect for a cottage garden, IMHO. In fact, I'm only staking the things with big, thick stalks that could break in a bad storm (hollyhocks, dahlias, etc)...the baby's breath, bachelor buttons, coreopsis, etc are all just laying around wherever they feel like it. I'm going to let them go to seed and see what pops up next year. :-) Tamara

Dang! I wish I had read this about 10 days ago. I didn't know Hollyhocks had to be staked. I have one with about 15 stems of flowers and it went haywire. I ended up just cutting off 5 of the biggest because it was everywhere....those things can get really big! I'll know for next year, but the truth is I hated the color -- a pale yellow that was dull and boring.

Suzy

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Last year, we had a storm with very strong winds that ruined my hollyhocks and dahlias, which were unstaked. Not taking chances this year. Oh, I also staked my sunflowers, green beans, cukes, and tomatoes...but with the veggies, it's more because I don't have the room for them to just go where they please. Tamara

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the reminder - I need to get outside and stake up my hollyhocks before something does happen . . . they are at least 8 feet high right now and just thinking about blooming.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.