Prairie Larkspur (Delphinium carolinianum)

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Prairie Larkspur
Delphinium carolinianum

Prairie Larkspur, Delphinium carolinianum, a pink form at Pappy Elkins Park.

Thumbnail by frostweed
Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Do you want seeds of these? I have one bloom that I think had seeds out there.

Thank you very much Mitch, but I am afraid they are too delicate for my crzy jungle.
I had never seen the pink ones in the wild, this was the only one there.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

True they dont like to be crowded in the least.

Where is this park at? just looks like a garden of Eden? Do they let you gather seeds there?

I haven't gathered seed, I don't know it it is allowed, I have only taken some tiny parts for identification. We can go there one Sunday afternoon if you like.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Would love to - looks like a dream is it in the metroplex?

Yes, actually it is very close to Veterans Park, not many people know it is there, or go there, because it looks very wild, I guess only the people who love nature and native plants think that there are hidden treasures in that place.
Let me know when you would like to go.
here is a hidden field we saw recently.

Thumbnail by frostweed
Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

How about a week from this Sunday (my inlaws are here this weekend) I know it will be hot but it looks like a gret place to visit no matter what.

I will check with Frank and let you know.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Great.

I have put some feelers out for oak acorns for some of the oaks in the list of natives. If I get any of them one way or another the plan is for a small public garden, the school and maybe a one or two well chosen ones for here. Here is the question - would you like pics of the acorns? seedlings? small trees? for Texas Star.

Sure, just be sure that you identify them and Frank will let you know in what mode to send them.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Mitch,

I have what I purchased as a red oak. Am aware that many trees recieve that name as a generic. Don't know how to identify it. Thing is...I spend a part of almost everyday pulling small seedlings from my flower beds...coming up from the oaks....some plant naturally and some the squirells give a hand. If you are interested since we are so close we could make arrangements for you to come by and see if there is anything that would fill your needs.

PS the tree has been here for probably 30+ years and is a very mature specimen.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Josephine - I will do.. anything to help with the plant page I use the most!

Lou - I would love them, can we make it for fall? This is a bad time of year to move the little trees I have found by many trial and error...

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Will be more than glad to "save" a few just for your garden.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you - if they live through all this rain.. I have Mesquite, pine, and sumac seedlings all going under.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I can't stand to enumerate what all has been lost. Just trying to concentrate on what all we have gained. Have been very concerned these last two years about the trees "in the wild". When we went to East Texas last summer there were so many dead trees. What I have lost I can always plant again and maybe better next time. Will stick something beside the seedlings so I don't forget and pull them up.

Lou

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks - I know.. so much is lost of the wild out there. There has been major loss in animals and plants out there. I can go around here to the roses and Iris that I travel to see for cutting and seeds and there are more and more dead.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.