texensis, 'Catherine Clanwilliam'

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Before:

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

After:

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Clematis Wilt? Powdery Mildew? Regardless, this Clematis is getting a very hard prune & then I'm going to spray its soil with an anti-fungal agent. Thank goodness I have it growing in a 1 gallon container to 'trial' it first before planting it in my garden.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Oh my gosh, Shirley. I've never seen anything like that before. I get the virus that causes yellowing leaves, but they don't seem to die easily. I hope it comes out of it for you.

Hi Shirley, waving back at you! Yes I know, it's not a very pretty sight! Hopefully pruning it back hard will re-invigorate this Clematis to grow more healthy vines & leaves. That's why it is so important to 'trial' them before planting in ones garden.

Just yellow leaves without wilting could be caused by a mineral deficiency. I like to occasionally use a fertilizer which contains micro-nutrients. Also, be sure to water your Clematis BEFORE fertilizing, so it doesn't get burned.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks. I'll try to do that soon. I have fertilizer that has micros added, so will do that after our next rain...if we get another one.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

What are you using to spray on your dirt?

Moody, TX(Zone 8a)

I am certainly not a clematis expert so please bear with me if I sound stupid. Since the plant is still in a pot could it be that the roots got too hot? The only time I have had one to look like that was when I had it in a pot and failed to shelter the roots from the sun. Mine was fine when I moved it into the shade for a few days and cooled it off.

Patsy

marie: I'm using a broad based fungicide, either "Bayer Fungus Fighter" or "Scotts Fungus Clear".

patsy: Welcome to the Clematis Forum! Yes, black pots can quickly heat up the root system of plants. However, I have several different varieties of Clematis that I'm growing out in black pots, they should have all then wilted. 'Catherine Clanwilliam' was the ONLY one. The rest are fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.