Mummy and baby

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

These aren't the best shots...I had to very hurriedly take them...not because mummy was shy...

Thumbnail by brical1

will get some better ones when I can

Thumbnail by brical1

This is still flowering for me...nice vanilla fragrance

Thumbnail by brical1

This doesn't need flowers to look good.....my very favourite variegated plant...seems to take all the heat without a problem and the cold doesn't seem to bother it either...is planted on the eastern side of the house ...have had it for 7 years...is a fairly slow grower as one would expect with so much variegation.

Thumbnail by brical1

Lorraine Lee rose,making lots of new growth, will be in flower within a couple of weeks...this one always flowers reliably each winter...has such a strong perfume too...is an old australian tea rose...an alistar clark ..

Thumbnail by brical1

This message was edited Jun 21, 2007 8:22 PM

Thumbnail by brical1

uh oh I 'm going to be in big trouble now!!!this wasn't the pic I clicked...how do I remove it...I've tried

Thumbnail by brical1
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Mummy and baby are adorable! There are so many remarkable creatures in our world - I am often reminded that we should appreciate the diversity. Thanks for posting these.

As to repairing posts, just send a a message to admin@davesgarden.com and
ask for help. Copy and paste the http// info at the top of this thread for reference. I've been bailed out of trouble several times!

Nice looking person in the sideways picture!

Yuska

Morrinsville ~Waikat, New Zealand

The plant with the variegated foliage - is it Choiysa? I have a couple of plain green and a couple of gold ones in my garden which I like because they fill out the garden with their beautiful foliage,but I haven't seen one like yours before - it is really nice.
Emelle

Hi Emelle, the variegated plant is a schefflera.. cultivar name madame de smet....I have a couple of other variegated cultivars too...but this one imo is by far the best....is a lot tougher than it looks...
I am still waiting for Admin to delete unrelated pics...

Thumbnail by brical1

Thank you so much for the information -I have not heard of it,but have taken a note of its name.Perhaps it is an Australian native.Your garden photo is lovely -everything looks so healthy and I love the colours.
Emelle

Love the cherry pie....not only pretty but yummy fragrance...loving the oleanders...people are so frightened to grow these because of their sinister reputation- but since so many things we grow are poisonous- I don't understand why folk freak out about them...you can't kill them with a cement mixer* lol* and the drought makes them flower their heads off....I think they are fantastic! my Italian relatives train them with a single trunk and they look stunning.The dwarf umbrella tree is vey pretty with the varigated foliage ...I grow cuttings of my plain one in water ...very easy! and therefore they make great green vase filler in the house.Finally what an attractive young woman in the photo...is she your daughter?...can't any bubba
though.Happy gardening:) ps it is freezing here...coldest winter I can remember in years....yesterday it was -2 early morning.

Hi Chrissy,I agree, I love oleanders too.You used to see them planted in school yards everywhere once....not anymore...I love the singles the most,we cut ours back severely towards the end of winter....they seem to flower better and for longer.Love the vanilla scent of the old double white too.The pale pink one in the pic is a seedling of the single blush pink I have growing in my garden...it is my favourite...I have growing 4 different single pinks,double white,double rose pink,single red and the dwarf apricot/pink... I don't care how poisonous they are...if I didn't have any poisonous plants in my garden....there wouldn't be much left to grow...its all about awareness.I 've never encountered any probs with these plants and don't know of anyone else who has....there is a lot of folklore out there though....
Did you receive my d mail. cheers

Thumbnail by brical1

Yes did you receive an envelope yet ? evidently I have put the snail creeper instructions twice in yours instead of one for that and one for the Mandavilla Laxa....the other recipient has received hers and
she got the Mandy instructions twice *blush*....that will teach me to rush! anyway the "skinny" seeds are the mandy and the round ones are the snail creeper.Don't forget there are plenty more when the pods ripen.Your oleanders are beautiful....yes I have raised grandchildren ...had many different animals...including horses and cows and we all survived the dreaded oleanders....more people die from eating daffodils than oleanders! What I don't understand is why anyone would go around eating their shrubs! I would rather look at them.:))))

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi Guy's cant agree more with your thoughts on poisonous plants, when we were kids, we were tought from a very early age not to eat vegitation of any kind unless it was food and we soon learned where the nice tender ripe peas, strawberry's ect were, ofcource we denied we ate them even though we had the evidence all over our faces, kids are mollycoddled too much these days, get them outside and teach them right from wrong in everything, not just the garden and we would have a much nicer world, sadly, I can only grow Oleander in my greenhouse as it aint winter hardy here, Scotland UK, therefore have to restrict it's size, but it never fails me, Loved that pink Canna it's a beauty, we grow these here, but have to give a deep mulch for winter, cottage gardening is as popular as ever here but I do notice that with all the world famous garden shows being shown on TV, we have moved into fashion gardening now, so a lot of the old favourites are tossed aside for black grasses, pleached rows of trees etc, so I guess we have to get a bank loan now if we want to be a follower of fashion in the garden, do we really, these are for folks with no imagination and someone elses creation, Ill stick with the old traditions thank you very much, I keep watching this site and my mouth waters at all these beautifull flowering shrubs and trees you guys can grow, I only ever see them on my travels when I can drag the old man away, thanks for the welcome, I need to get husband or grandson to help me send you some pics of my garden layout, totaly different from you folks but my pride and joy, also keeps me off the happy pills and out of trouble I guess ha ha ha, all the very best, WeeNel, Scotland, wet, windy, cold and summerless to date this year.

Hi there,WeeNel,
I agree with you about the modern trendy gardens (called contemporary)having just lots of grasses and other spiky things.It is enjoyable to read on this site about the flowers and shrubs that real gardeners are growing.
My family came from Scotland to NZ .Some from Dunfermline in 1864,and some from Glasgow around 1900,so I think of Scotland as 'home'.We would love to see pictures of your garden.
Emelle.
Photo is of my garden with bluebells-I would like to think they are Scottish bluebells but have been told they are Spanish.

Thumbnail by Emelle
North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Hi Brical1,
You may think they are adorable and they certaining are.
The problem I have with them is...........They eat all my plants!
To a gardener, they are a pest. They devowered 5 full size plants in one night, I was shattered. I had been watching these plants grow from seedlings. I wish I could share your love for them, but while they continue to eat my plants, they are a pest.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.