what should I get

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

this is the first year that I ever grew a clematis that lived ( crimson star ) Its so skinny and frail looking but growing and it has one flower. I planted it last fall so I was suprized that it grew now I want to get some more. any ideas???
Gloria

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Gloria,

Congratulations on getting 'Crimson Star' to flower. Clematis are heavy feeders and you need to give them either Rose or Tomato food. This is done early in the Spring and after you have pruned them. From your description of 'Crimson Star'...."Its so skinny and frail looking", it needs to be pruned. Pruning encourages the Clematis to grow more stems and thereby giving you a fuller plant with abundant blooms. However, don't fertilize your Clematis after August. You don't want it putting forth new foliage and growth in the Fall.

Here is a list of Clematis for beginners. http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/clematis/cfbiss15let.pdf It's best to start with either Group 1's or Group 3's - the viticellas. They are both resistant to the fungal disease known as Clematis Wilt.

We are here if you need more help. Good luck!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

thanks shirley1 should I cut my only flower off and feed or leave it on till it dies? Then cut it back and how far and how much do I feed it ? I have rose food.
Gloria

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

You don't ever want to cut off Clematis flowers. That's what we all love about this incredible vine!

Prune and fertilize AFTER the flowering has stopped. Since it is a small vine, 1/4 cup of Rose fertilizer will be fine. Once it gets bigger, then you can increase the fertilizer to 1/2 cup.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh good I was scared you were going to say cut it now I waited all winter to see if it lived let alone flower I'm so excited I think I willget some more I know just where I want to put them I dident know there were so many then I dident know there were so many other flowers till I got on this site. thank you so much.
Gloria

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.