Removing Staghorn Sumac

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

At first I was at peace with the two matured sumacs, now I find shoots everywhere in the yard. My husband says he just mows over it. Any suggestion to removing it? Can that create more shoots and suckers? Both organic and herbicide welcome.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I'd say to paint the freshly cut stumps with undiluted Brush-B-Gone.

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks escambiaguy. I'll take it that Brush-B-Gone is easy to purchase? And what about all the hundreds of sucker shoots I have taking over the lawn?

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

sarahn - I have the same problem! I just pick them out every so often and wonder if I'll have to hire someone to do it when I get old! We had one originally, but cut it down because it was too close to a "Christmas" tree. We let one of the shoots grow that was far enough away, and that's the one that appears to be giving off more shoots. The cut tree doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. I'd cut the second one down, but my husband likes it too much.

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanx PrimroseSue. I've decided to have a tree removal service remove it and a black locust. I've got the Brush-B-Gone ready. I already used that to get rid of 20' dia area of bamboo that got way out of control, now I'm digging out the roots and suckers for a garden bed. Progress!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.