Dainty Dianthus

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Small flowers that "pack a lot of punch".

Are you growing any Dianthus? Let's see them!

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Shirley, your dianthus look great! Do you get second flush of blooms if you cut them back after the first? I grew some dianthus from seed this year, so they are still small plants, but I have great hopes for them.

Peckhaus: Thanks so much! All my Dianthus was wintersown from seed. They put down a lot of root growth during the first year (2006) and rewarded me with beautiful blooms in their second year (2007). Yes, if you dead head spent flowers and give them a bit more fertilizer, they will reward you with more glorious blooms. Your patience will pay off next year when they put on a beautiful show of color for you!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh shirley! What is that one in the middle of the lower tier of pictures? Do you have enough of it to divide and let me have a piece? I have several things to trade. Please d-mail me.

Thanks woodspirit1. It is Dianthus, 'Sooty'.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

this photo was about three weeks ago.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

A nice red.

Thumbnail by gardengus

Gorgeous gardengus! I love the shape and color of the red one in particular. Do you know the names of your Dianthus? Did you buy them as plants or grow them from seed? Thanks so much for sharing them with us!

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

The red one is Desmond . The pink one is spotlight, One of my favorites ,has a nice blue- gray mound even after a hair cut. This is a photo from today.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Oh ,they are probably from Bluestone,last year.

Thanks for the names and info, gardengus. Not only does Dianthus have beautiful flowers, but I think the foliage is equally as lovely.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I read above your's was wintersown. I tried wintersowing for the first time this year,only a dozen or so things, was your germination rate good ? And where did you get the seed from? I ask because some things were too good and now I have 30+ little columbine some still in pots.Others didn't come up at all like my geranium.

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Got a great first bloom. Gave 'er a haircut a bit ago and seeing a few bud's popping up.
I got a great second bloom last year. The red dianthus next to the pink is a nursery mistake. Was supposed to be pink also. Threw off my whole pink, purple theme but I don't have the heart to rip it out.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2007 9:00 PM

Thumbnail by staceysmom

I received the majority of Dianthus seeds from trades and from http://www.dianeseeds.com All the Dianthus did extremely well via the wintersowing method.

Aquilegia (Columbine) is another perennial that does well via this method. I have several different varieties of this beautiful woodland plant.

Geranium ssp. 'Silver Shadows' was wintersown & planted in my garden, but I'll probably have to wait until next year to see it bloom.

Yes, some seeds take longer than others to germinate and I still have some containers that haven't shown any sprouts yet and others that are badly in need of planting out, which I will do this Fall.

Gorgeous staceysmom! Talk about a great flush of color(s)! Is this their 1st year of bloom?

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Shirley1md, no this is their 2nd year of bloom. It seems it doubled in size since last year. I think it likes it's home.

I would totally agree. It loves its home!

Do you fertilize it? What do you use?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.