Snakes alive!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Out of the 46 native species, here's one in my garden. Got any idea what kind?

Thumbnail by Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

When I went around to take a picture of his head, he was having lunch. Could it be an Eastern King snake? I know there are several species of king snakes, most notable are the red,black & yellow ones. This one is almost black with prominent white markings and white speckles on his head.

Thumbnail by Cordeledawg
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I wonder if it is an Eastern Kingsnake. I can't see the head very well but there are some similarities.. how large was the snake?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Maybe 4 ft long. Here are some more pictures but they're worse than the first two.

Thumbnail by Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Head shot. Fuzzy though.

Thumbnail by Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm sure that's what he is! Thanks Jazz. He's a good snake! Hurray!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes.. no venom.. lol

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Definatly an EKS, and a friend too.Mike

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Heya, Mike. Yes I was glad to find out that he's a friend. LOL Hope he likes cottonmouths just as much as turtle eggs for lunch. He was in their territory at the pond (where my gardens are no doubt!).

Funny how they eat the posinous snakes, and they can eat one almost as long as it is, but they take their time doing it.What they do, and I did see this, as a courious kid, they catch them by the tait, and take them in a little at a time, and sone the victom gives up.After that, I think they go a long time without eating.Mike

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I may not have stayed around long enough to get the shot had that been the case instead of a turtle egg in his mouth!

Given the choice of egg, or snake, I think he'd eat the egg.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Much less of a fight and struggle that way, right.

Yea, they can crawl away like that too.Unlike lying outstreched for two days.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.