Adenium is blooming

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

My adenium bonsai is blooming, at last. So far I haven't been brave enough to do anything but raise the caudex above the soil line.

Thumbnail by allgr8dogs
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm just a novice to the art. Though, I love this adenium and have collected them for quite some time now. In year past. I pampered them and kept them sheltered. Then I ran into a Phillipino lady. She smiled and told me: "It's native to my country" they flourish outdoors...." since then, I kept these outside. They blooms lavishingly all summer. I bring them indoors for the winter ofcourse.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

i have one that i keep outdoors year round, but those that are in bonsai pots i bring in for the cold weather. the adenium in this picture stays out year round. here i AZ, i have to give them some shade as our intense heat plus intense sunshine are too much.

This message was edited Jun 23, 2007 8:28 AM

Thumbnail by allgr8dogs
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Those are fine specimens! I love them. Thanks for sharing.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

i daydream of someday moving to Alabama - I have family there (my cousin Mark George, as fine a true gentleman as has ever walked the earth)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It's beautiful here, and yes, the gentlemen Alabama has plenty of. I've one of my own, I know. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

what a beautiful place!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you,
We're very fortunate to have this view in our backyard. In the weekend, we can just go out there and watching sailing boats. Reading books, and for me, learning more about bonsai's arts.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is some of my Adenium....(Not a bonsai ~ yet).

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Chino, CA

i cant believe anywhere in our country the sun would be more intense than in africa (at least the obtusa variety) where they come from. even as babies i leave them outside in the socal sun all day.. they just eat it up.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2007 8:58 PM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

You have to remember that Phoenix has intense dry heat. It was 112 degrees here, and we're not even at the hottest part of our summer yet - humidity was 28 percent. It gets so hot our asphalt semi-melts, and one can get serious, serious burns from the pavement. Every year we get ASU students who fry eggs by leaving a pan out in the sun on the pavement in the summertime. The humidity does not buffer the heat, and we don't get any breezes off the ocean. Even at the Desert Botanical Gardens provides shade screen for the adeniums (or filtered shade) - they can live in the full sun here but until they're much more mature they struggle mightily, and grow slowly if we let them get beat up by the sun.

Chino, CA

yeah i know.. im a truckdriver and driving thru that area all the way to palm springs my windshield is hot to the touch from the inside on those days u described

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Goodness! Our temp. reaches the hi-90's, and I was thinking boys! It's hot. But 112F. at least it's a dry heat. When it gets so hot here in the South, I wish I could do my garden chore at night, under flashlight. :-)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

We have had temps as high as 122 degrees. Even if it's a dry heat once you start getting over 105 the body can't cool itself sufficiently. Some summers the night time temperatures don't get below 100 degrees which is very hard on the plants and animals. We start having problems with road rage here as the weather gets hotter.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

ooooh,
Now I understand your daydream of moving Southward. Peace! Best wishes.
Oh I have a question regarding bonsai. Actually I'm in a delima. I sown some seeds over the winter. I've a Japanese Pagoda tree. Which is about a foot tall now. I'm debating whether I should 'train' it as a Bonsai specimen. Or plant it out in the yard. I did some research, and it's said that J.P. grows well in our climate. Have you? Anyone else have experience with J.P. in bonsai and care to share?
Kim

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Maybe you could plant it, harvest more seeds and then you will have a continuing source of plant material to bonsai with. Have you considered Morninga stenopetala (or Moringa oleifera) as a possible bonsai subject?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Morninga stenopetala, or oleifera? I'll have to look both of them up.
As far as JP, thanks for the suggestion. It's very sound, since the seeds have a very limited success rate. I'll try to nuture this one into a mature tree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.