Jim, "GaRedClay's garden" at my home :)

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

When I first started out on Dave's, Jim was one of the wonderful gardeners that shared his plants with me.. And just look now.. a tribute to him with the plants that came from his garden. Of course, like all the plants he and other gardeners have shared with me, they are all throughout the garden, but this particular bed, filled with cannas bee balm and ginger lilies all came from Jim, so that's why its called Jims garden :)

Thanks Jim! Your the best! Hope you had a wonderful fathers day.

:)

Susan

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

This bed is on the edge of the pool fence and the bee balm is so thick, the cannas were sandwiched and look the best of any in my garden :)

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Jungle of color!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Up close of canna :)

Susan

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

It is right by my kids colorful play set :) They love it too!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Jim thank you so much for all the plants!! There is your special garden in my home :)

Here is my youngest watering the play set grape tomatoes this morning :)

Susan

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

A better picture after he woke up! :)

Susan

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful, Susan, your plants don't look like they suffered from the drought.You must have some good compost in that ground.Now the question is;are those bee balm just very healthy, or is there more than one type of bee balm?Tne bee balm I have is same color, but only grows to about a foot, if that, and yours look to be 3'.Let me in on the little secret, I would like for mine to get some growth.Mike

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Mike, I water during my legal times only ever I promise, and I do use leaf mold to amend and mulch and I do spray with messenger and plant food sometimes when I can work it in. The pool fence is five feet for reference.. so some of those are well over six feet tall! It's interesting, but the bed all spread from the one plant Jim gave me, but there is most certainly two different shades of colors in there. To be honest, I like the colors of my "Jim's bee balm" better then the named one I have out front. This is brighter and more fun. One color is red and another has a more purple hue.

I just ordered a bee balm that is supposed to stay very close to the ground, so I do think there is a difference in the cultivars whether they get taller or not.. I also think they get taller once they crowd in as each one is trying to outreach for the sun :) I can bring you some tall at the next RU
:)
Susan

Susan, that is gorgeous! My bee balm aren't blooming yet - they are pouting. I missed watering last night.

How do you manage to go without a canna leaf roller? My cannas are so tatty and ratty again, it's the darned rollers. As much as I try, I can not defeat them!

GGG

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Thank you sweetie, I love you.
Makes me want to sack up a bunch of plants and come your way. That boy is growing faster than the plants. He is a fine looking young man.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

That look like my Jacob Cline Bee Balm...It does get three to four feet tall....and I love the RED RED color....I will post a pic on the other thread I have going...Mike if you would like some, I can send you some....

Susan, that is just glorious! And that young boy is just like his Mama! He is a doll baby!

After seeing those beauties, I am going to have to have a small start, The one I have keeps a low profile, but is still a beauty.I believe those in these pics are a deeper red, or something, maybe do have a purple hue.How do they winter? Mine die back, and return in spring.They are beautiful!!!Mike

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

You've got it...lol I posted some pictures on my other thread for you to see mine...I will try to get it out with some other things tomorrow....

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Jim, it's your birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love, Susan

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay, tell me about the Fairy...lol is it a climber? It is so sweet...is it fragrant? I don't have many roses, they seem to be so hard to me...

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

This thread has Wild blue yonder
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/122522/index.html

and the other birthday thread is the fairy. The fairy was purchased at wal-mart and is the easiest rose ever.. No spraying.. Love it. I'm learning to root roses, and this is one I'm working on :)
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2863/index.html

Susan

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Both are pretty but the Fairy is just soooo sweet looking...lol so FLORIBUNDA is what I will be looking for then.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Oops, Polyantha...lol....I have no idea what the difference is either...

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Love your roses, Susan. That's one plant that lives a long time. Every time I see roses, I think of my great grandmother who had rose bushes that she planted during the depression
and were still growing in the 70's when I was in high school.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks. I'm really starting to go nuts over them! :)

Susan

Roses are making a "come back", they are a very pleasant, and soft welcome to a restless world of multitasking. Mike

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I think all of us have been so fortunate to have Jim in our lives..I too have many of his beauties growing in my gardens..hugzzzzzz and Kisses Jim..and thanks...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Lawrenceville, GA

Hopefully one of you bee balm folks can help me! I planted gobs of the stuff in my hummingbird garden. This is the second season, and the stuff is around 3 feet tall. Do you stake or tie it to keep it from falling over? There's so much of it, that when the blooms fade, I cut off the stalk. Bad?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I do not stake mine...I am too lazy..lol when the blooms fade I cut the blooms off and normally they bloom again I do this a couple or more times a season....so I do not cut the stalks off till the end of the season. Most of mine stand pretty well, the stalks are pretty sturdy, the ones that fall over just do...lol

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I don't do a thing to mine...even the tall stuff.

I've got a strawberry candy from Jim too :) It's Jim's signature Daylily :)

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.