Open Invite to a Roundup at my MA daylily/perennial gardens.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Hey, everyone, I know this is short notice, but I have been wanting to do this, and if there is any interest, I will go forward with it. I posted a thread in the Roundups forums a couple days ago, but haven't gotten any responses, and since this is such short notice, I thought I would put out an open invitation here and in the Northeast Gardening forum. Here is the hyperlink to the original thread:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/735275/

I would like to have a round-up/gathering, sort of an open garden and pot-luck, at my house on July 22nd, and we can trade plants and chat and have a great time. I have over 800 varieties of daylilies, as well as many other perennials, on over an acre of land. It's my father's place, and my late mother started it all. I have been taking care of it with my youngest sister's help (she and her daughter live here, too), ever since our mother passed on in late summer of 2001.

Mid July is peak daylily time, and I would love to share my gardens with anyone from Dave's who would like to come. I can grill up some dogs, provide the buns and condiments, and all the paper plates, utensils, napkins, plastic cups, if everone else can bring side dishes, drinks, and desserts. I have one big, sturdy 6' table and a few smaller ones, and about 10 or more chairs (different types). If I get more than 10 people coming, maybe some could bring folding chairs. I could make a rain date for July 28th, but hopefully we will have great weather, and not too hot and humid.

Let me know who can come. I'm looking forward to doing this!

Here is a list of who is coming so far and what they are bringing. Just a few last minute changes here. Gretchen and her friend Debbie will not be coming, so I will make some pasta salad tomorrow. A few more friends will be coming, and I have added them.

Kassia -- ?
Seandor -- ?
my friend Karen -- sodas and cups
Karen's daughter Gretchen -- salad -- not coming
Debbie -- potato salad -- not coming
Ownedbycats -- ?
my friend Debbie P. -- ?
my friend Diane -- tortellini and watermelon
my friend's George and Anita Sprague -- dessert

Oh, btw, my address is in the exchange. If anyone wants to call me my phone # is (781)588-9091. I can give you directions over the phone or by D-mail. Just don't get them from Mapquest. I did that for Kassia's RU, and it took me an hour of wandering around and stopping here and there to get directions before I finally found the place. Should have gotten her phone #, but was so busy I forgot until the last minute, then didn't have time to get on-line to look it up. Oops!

Karen

This message was edited Jun 29, 2007 10:05 PM

This message was edited Jun 29, 2007 10:10 PM

This message was edited Jul 2, 2007 8:18 PM

This message was edited Jul 21, 2007 9:21 PM

This message was edited Jul 21, 2007 9:27 PM

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Sure - I will come :-) Not sure I will have much to trade - but I would love to see your daylilies :-)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Karen, Drat, I will be in Canada at my 92 year old mom's cottage that weekend. She still takes her old canoe out for long paddles. I tried starting a garden for her years ago by the lake, but that is not her idea of fun. I would have loved seeing your DL's and meeting everyone. Enjoy. Patti

This message was edited Jun 17, 2007 3:03 PM

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Great that you can come, Seandor. Doesn't matter if you don't have a lot to trade, or even if you don't have anything at all to trade. This is all just for fun anyhow, and I love sharing my garden with fellow enthusiasts. And I have a lot of stuff to give away, even if you don't have anything to trade. I don't want people leaving empty handed.

Sorry you can't make it, Patti. If you want to stop by anytime, just give me a call. D-mail me and I will give you my phone #. Same for anyone else who can't make it that day and would like to come for a look-see. Of course, if you're like me, and you work full time as well as take care of extensive gardens, then I know you don't have a lot of time for visiting other people's gardens. I always seem to find a little time for that, though, that and shopping for new plants. Then I tell myself I shouldn't have done it, as I don't have enough time as it is for getting work done in my gardens. Well, you guys propably know how that goes. ;-)

Karen

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I may be on vacation.

Crossville, TN

I now have it added to the RU's at a Glance thread...Jo

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/557555/

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Isn't the Halifax RU on July 22, 2007? Not June 22. Patti

Crossville, TN

AWWW cheeze...I thought something was amiss....

I plead OLD AGE!!! going to fix it right now...Thanks a bunch Patti!!

Edited to say: DONE! LOL

This message was edited Jun 17, 2007 4:00 PM

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Thank you Karen. That's my annual Stickball weekend in Queens though. Hope to meet you in the Fall.

Victor

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Jo, for adding that for me.

Sorry Dave and Victor that you can't make it. If you'll be at Kassia's RU, then I will see you there. I've been getting some stuff potted up to bring. Been working like mad on that.

Karen

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I don't have any plants to bring right now, but I'll see you at Kassia's.

Victor, You really have an annual stickball weekend? That is great.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes - this year is the 22nd annual game. We gave up on the old guys vs. the young guys last year when the youngest 'young' guy turned 40! Plus we kept beating the old guys. So we changed last year to Mets fans vs. Yankees.

Crossville, TN

My pleasure.....ya'll have a great time. Jo

Southern, NH(Zone 5b)

That's 1 week after the CT regional and 4 days before I leave for the national - could that be too many daylilies????

not possible - let me check MAPQUEST and see how far away you are..

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Hey, Cats, that would be great if you could make it! Hope to see you then.

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Just thought I would put another post in my thread to get it towards the top. Have contacted Dave twice to get it made into a sticky, but nothing has happened with that.

Karen

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Karen, it was great meeting you at Kassia's. I think this thread is a sticky, by the way.

I don't have any plans for that day except to relax. I've been very busy this last month and haven't had a moment to myself and my garden for a while. I will say now that I'm going to graciously bow out, but if I get a sudden burst of energy, can I come last minute? I'd love to see your daylilies. If I do, I may bring Yankee Cat with me.

Harper

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Harper, you are definitely welcome to come last minute with Yankee Cat if you want. I'd love for you to see my daylilies. I had a great time at Kassia's, and it was wonderful meeting you, Yankee Cat, and everyone else. I hope to have just as much fun with my RU. It will be a first for me (hosting, that is).

Yes, this thread is a sticky now, but it wasn't when I posted that last reply.

Karen

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Karen, I will do my best to come... I am dying to see thousands of dayilies... and I will take my mom with me... so count us in... I will bring desert... not sure what yet... but we will be there...

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Thanks Karen!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Kassia, can't wait to see you and you mother again. I am praying for great weather, like you had for your RU! Here is a recent pic from my garden. This is my small water garden that I put in last summer.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh Karen, it's so nice.... I have plans for one.... the turtles would love it!! I have been educating myself about daylilies... so many kinds, so many colors... oh brother is hard to figure them out... but I like the fact that they are tough...

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

They are definitely tough, Kassia. But watch out for southern grown ones. Up here most of them don't do as well. You are better off buying from northern growers.

Here is a picture of a gorgeous red velvet one that I will have available for trade, if I don't sell it before then.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Karen,
I can't make it to your RU but your mom's DL that I got from you last year opened today!

Thumbnail by boojum
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, nice, boojum! Too bad you can't make it to the RU. Looks like a lot of people can't make it. Bad timing, as everyone has vacation, I guess. I do, too, but staying here to take care of my gardens and get them ship-shape. I think this is the best time for a RU, when most of my babies are in bloom.

Karen

Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi, Karen -

I just checked Mapquest and see that you are about 175 mi. from me. The distance, combined with the impending delivery of a container of antiques where I work means I can't make it. I'm SO sorry - I would love to see your daylilies. They are one of my favorites.

Next year, maybe.

Julie

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi, Julie,

Sorry you can't come. That is a long way. Hope you are having a good summer!

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.