do voles eat corydalis, columbine, brunnera ?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have some of these I could share with a friend but she has terrible vole problems. Does anyone have experience with whether voles eat Corydalis lutea, Columbine or Brunnera macrophylla? Thanks. giving her vole candy to plant would just be mean.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

maybe this winter if they get hungry

Reno, NV

At my last house, I had a terrible vole problem. They ate everything! Irises, lilies, daisies, aster, even the roots of my golden chain tree (okay it was a little tree). They ate my Bishop's Weed that had been in the same place for 10 years (took them awhile to find it). The only thing they didn't eat was Columbine, Lavendar, Echinacea, Chives, Daffodils, and Lilacs. Just went back to old house and those are the only things left in my once beautiful garden. At my new house, we have a long rock wall in the backyard which served as a vole "condo" the first year we were here. We now have a "vole man" who comes around once a month and puts pellets down any new holes to kill them. We haven't seen them this year but we are still being "preventative".
No second kill so the dogs are not affected (tho they wouldn't know what to do with a dead vole if they found one!). Don't have cats so can't say what does or doesn't harm them. There is nothing "humane" that will rid you of these horrible things. Tried it all--water, smoke, vibrations....nothing works but the pellets. These vermin will breed and breed and breed and your garden will be gone in 6 months!

well, there are six genera left to choose from then! thanks!
what echinacea the voles leave, my bunnies or groundhog will polish off. I crossed ech off my list after buying one and having it eaten...
Good luck with your new garden!

YES- it didn't stop groundhogs. Well, maybe at the price, I was just being too stingy with it. "Cost of food gardening" and all, I do this for a cheap hobby, not a bank -breaking one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.