My yard so far this year:)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

since this will probably be the best the yard will look this year i am memorializing it.....the
heat is starting so it will probably start looking parched...but so far here we are:

Thumbnail by sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

close up. ....

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

this is only year 2 for me gardening wise...i am learning so much and need adjust things but that will be an ongoing project i am sure:)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

this is my pink pot wall; keep in mind i have a mostly shaded front yard so that limits my choice with respect to what i grow.....

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

more of my cottage

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

more

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

my seating area

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

finally

(Zone 4a)

Remarkable for only your second year!

Your settings are lovely. Excellent taste.

There are many advantages to growing in the shade. I would prefer
that over gardening in the sun.

Your pictures display serenity....cool.

Corinne

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Shade gardens are my favorite.
Really pretty garden!

Rockville, MD

I think your gardens are beautiful. I especially like all the plants on the patio - and the kitty too! Well done!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful. Reflects a very welcoming and happy place. If this is only year 2.....wow. This is my 3rd year and I am making more beds. Have about convinced DH that the flowers are better than all grass. I believe you said on another thread that your DH is a grass person....well, so is mine. lol
Your fence is a great setting. I can see across the drive that you have it other areas and it frames your home beautifully. At this time we have had 3/4 of an inch in less than an hour. Wish we could share.

LouC

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I love it, sticks! Especially the kitty protecting the furniture, of course. You've certainly got the look going.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

hey brig...did you see the lemon grass....i believe you are the one responsible for my needing lemon grass in my yard....you had a picture in one of your thread....

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Happy to be your personal enabler, sticks!

;}

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

are they perennials?

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

It's my understanding it would take a bad freeze to get rid of it, but this is my first year for it so I can't tell.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Uh oh... pretty pink pots with pink and purple plants - puuurrrrrfect!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Ah, Sticks, it is lovely and serene!

Do a search and see if you can find a rose, 'Zepherine Drouhin' -- I am sure I didn't spell it right. They are one of the only roses to grow and bloom in the shade and would look excellent trained along that gorgeous fence.

Suzy

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I have three ZDs out front and just love them. I got them from Park's. Excellent idea if you like a pink rose -- dark pink. I think they're lovely and they smell SO good.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Sticks, you're amazing - hard to believe it's such a new garden! Love your pink pot wall. Great work!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

suzy....how funny, i already have that growing....there is the don juan in the corner (picture 1)...on either side of the don juan are zephrines....they were planted last year so this will be the first full year.....i can almost start weaving in the fence.....not quite but almost....at least great minds think alike...; i also have hyacinth bean vine planted, sweet autumn clematis, and jasmine.....wish the dang fence were covered right now ....but they will not grow fast enuf!!!!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Guess they do! BTW, give that SAC an inch and it'll take a mile! (It might take 3 years, but then watch out!)

Suzy

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

suzy....i am such a new gardener...and you know i am so impatient so i keep planting all this stuff wanting FULLNESS, LUSH, HUGE plantings.....WELL, next year or the next remind me of this planting i am doing when i am screaming that everything is taking over...(grin)....i am so shocked at my front beds anyway, this was suppossed to be the creep year....and it looks like the LEAP year to me.....so next year ought to be really funny:)

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

Sticks, WOW...........I think you must be funnin us, only 2 years! I love your fence. It so defines your yard and it won't be long your border beds will get wider and wider! Every time my son would edge some of my beds he would start out a foot from the edge of the flower bed and then it would be 1 foot larger all the way around! Your dh might not even notice!

I especially like your shasta daises mine never look that nice and all your pretty white accents by and on your patio so refreshing!

Thanks so much for directing me to this thread I will be watching your progress. I have said that I will have to garden till I am 85 to get everything done in the yard that I want.......that only leaves me 30 years. I better get my act in gear! lol

Joy

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

joy i hear ya....i see these gardeners that so have been doing this for years and i WANT their yard....and i want it yesterday....so i am learning patience....but i SO want a lush yard....glad you came to cottage gardening ....it is a great group over here ....

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Sticks, that is BEAUTIFUL! :)))

-Joe

Pearl River, LA

I have been missing you over on the coleus forum... Glad I found this and could catch up with your garden. It really looks great. I love the picket fence and your table area. Good job. shirleyt

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

hey shirl....thanks so much....i miss yall too!!! i so have my hands full with that dang yard......getting perennials going, reasearching digging researching digging .....etc etc...; you know the drill; i am on the fence with regards to coleus...i am trying to decide if i am gonna keep it up for next year or move on to something else.....; there are some i love and are such great performers...and some that just poop out b4 seasons end and i am trying to find out if it is my error or the plants temperment......; how are things with your new house??

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Sticks,
The yard is beautiful! What is that low growing pink flowering plant? It's compact and beautiful.

An earlier post "warned you" about Sweet Autumn Clematis, and boy are they right!! I had one and loved it! It covered a six foot chain link fence and grew like crazy! It really likes to have it's "feet in the shade" but "it's head in the sun". It will be monster size in no time. I've sold that house and I have finally bought again and have a little SAC in pot trying to get the right area ready for it. My old one was incredibily fragrant when it' was in bloom and I'm looking forward to this one maturing.
Pat

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

psychw2 that low growing pin is hardy geranium tiny monster....this was only year 2 and boy did they take off....

i hope that is what you are talking about and not the impatiens.....

Pearl River, LA

Sticks...Things are finally settling down on the "I have got to do list" and I can do more of the things I want to do.. Home is in place old one is out and we have built the deck and landscaped the immediate yard space. We have yet to do much but maintain the grass in the other areas. This is a big space (three acres) and I am not as young as I used to be. The heat is killing me. Early morning and late evening are all I can take and then I get eaten by La. bugs. 90% of the storm dammage has been dealt with. And yes I know it has been two years buttttt things move slow here. It is still hard going to get things done. It is still hurry up and wait. But it is so much better now that I can smile again.

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

shirl....that is gorgeous!!!! how very lovely...and it looks like you have been there for years....; my hubby just got back from a mission trip to lousiana to build homes for katrina victims...

okay what is the huge vine behind the lantana and coleus? lovely:)

Pearl River, LA

Sandy my daughter bought those plants and does not remember the name. They are bushes and are supposed to spread like a ground cover 18 inches high and bloom profusely with a yellow flower. They bloomed in the early spring when first planted and as they have grown blooms have been few. If you look for yellow on the right side you will see what the flower looks like... It is not a vine. The only vine in the pic is morning glory which is taking over my azalea. Thanks to your hubby for his help.. people here really needed all the help they could get. Please accept my thanks from everyone here. I would not be comfortably settled today if not for the kindness of strangers who helped us immensely.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Shirley, it's lovely - and I'm so glad for you that things are coming together. I truly cannot even begin to imagine what you went through.

Wow, that coleus is amazing!

The yellow flowers look like Brugmansia, or "Angel's Trumpet" - there's a whole forum about them, I guess....

This message was edited Aug 6, 2007 10:48 PM

Pearl River, LA

Hello are you cottage gardeners. I think that is the style I want to go. I am not sure what is considered cottage gardening at its best but I wanted to share a couple pics with you.. Feel free to critique, I am still learning. Pagancat I will toss in a pic of the coleus on the deck that is one of my favorites this year.shirleyt

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

A collage of other efforts.

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

shirl....you got it down for sure!!! i love the collaged pic...the upper right hand pic.....; and i can take that gate off your hands too(grin)

Whoo wee - thanks! Those are great! Is that purple plant in the bottom left of the collage a coleus too? I think I'm forming a new addiction....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.