Look what ran out at me while I was digging....lol

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

EWWWWW! I think I may have caught this one laying eggs, or getting ready to...what do you think? Broad-head Skink....

Thumbnail by JanetS
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh, she's cute and she does look a little fat.
At least these dont bite and hurt like other things you could have uncovered!
Lizards are a plentiful and welcome sight in my yard.

Just think...she's gonna make a whole bunch of babies and they are all gonna be working on insect control in your gardens!

chris

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

either she's gonna have babies or shes been eating fast food :)

Susan

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Woo Hoo..I have lots of lizards. Lots of the green ones, the toady looking ones, Big ones and little ones..lol I have to admit when her head slithered out I thought it was going to be a snake...

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Janet, most things, like that won't hurt you, but you might hurt yourself.Just yesterday, while sawing up a large tree, that has been on the ground since Oct., plenty of weeds, a black rat snake crawled across my foot.No I didn't get a pic, I did sooo well to be as composed, as I was.I know some reptiles (most) lay eggs, but some have live birth, whitch may have been a concern for the skink.Mike

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I agree Mike, I was so proud of myself for not trying to move out of the way really quickly (As if I can move quickly, anymore!) and in trying, I am sure I would have fallen. I was on the side of my bank, so anytime I am there I try to be well planted myself before I work. But, like you, I didn't panic, and so it was all good.

Rat snakes are big too...lol I may not have faired so well if that had been the case....the skink came out right at my hands where I was digging with a small fork, turning the soil up in an area...if a rat snake had come crawling over my hand, well, I may not be sitting here typing today, may have just passed on....LOL

I think skinks do lay eggs, and most likely she was trying to prepare a nest, the area has a lot of pine bark in it and it has been damp from the sporatic rain we have had. Bless her heart, I probably scared her too...

A skink is so useful, around a garden, and have heard say that they eat fire ants, but am unable to confirm that, but I know their tail will regenerate, I seen that blasted cat take a tale, and you can see the developing progress, as it scampers between the planters. Mike

Oh,BTW, I don't kill anything, unless I'm hungry, or if its trying to eat me.I believe every thing has a pourpose.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yep, me too...

Dothan, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh Oh Oh ! I moved into our new home a few moths ago and these things where everywhere.I had never never seen one before..kinda scary little guys ,I mean big fat guys.But that they went away and just yesterday I saw one in my garden...better in the garden than in the house...lol I read that they have there babies in July so now I am not sure what to expect ? I just wish they would go away.They sound very huge running across the inside patio.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL....they are really good for your garden though...

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes,, those lizards are good for bug control..so much better than poison.., but they scare me too if I am digging and not prepared.. I have those pretty blue striped skink. and that pale pink one too. They sound really big scurrying through the leaves. LOL
Elaine

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

My understanding is that all of the blue striped ones are the same as this one, only when they mature, they may loose those stripes...

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

hmmm, that's interesting.. will have to read up on that. Along with my latest pet in my new pond..
Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh, how cute, box turtle! Love it!

I doubt that the box turtle "really" likes being in that pond.I'll bet he slipped.Mike

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I agree, Mike, I don't they spend much time "In" the water..lol cute little thing though! Here is one I had crossing the driveway in mid June...

Thumbnail by JanetS

I have raised quite a few box turtles and they love really hard rain, but not deep water. I hope there is a shallow spot for him to escape. He wont last long in there! He would love it if you handed him a worm, a blackberry or a small piece of raw chopmeat though.

chris

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

OK... Do you know how many times I 'rescued' this little rascal???? and every time, he came right back.. He sits on a pot of lizard's tail and could climb out on slabs of Georgia slate. I rescued his brother on the road yesterday.. LOL

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL, he is a beauty!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

I think he likes the fish food.....
Elaine

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yep, I bet that is it!

LOL, He is most likely a she! And she definetly is a cutie!
She has yellow eyes and most males have bright red eyes.
She probably would like some fish food, but would enjoy a nice big bite of sushi instead! They are pretty good at fishing, but usually prefer very shallow water. If you come across a snail or grub, she would love that also. They are fun to have around if they are born there. They usually stay within a 600sq ft area for life. If there is enough of natural food and water to sustain them. The ones that lived in my backyard came out of hibernation to early (the very warm weeks we had in Feb.) I think they went looking for food and I havent seen them back this summer yet. :(

chris

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

hmmm,,, now maybe we know why that turtle was on our road nearby... will dig some more worms for fish and turtles too. here are the two together.

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh my goodness, aren't they precious!

Shy too.I didn't know that they have a territory to check, because I can see one in my back yard that seems to have the same routine, and I didn't think of that, so snails and grubs it is.I have been putting the snails in a bare spot in back, and the blue jays get them.They can share.Mike

Last year I had a couple that used to come for breakfast when I was clearing the ground for a shade bed. It was an old area for grass clippings under a bunch of pines and it was loaded with grubs. They would hang out around my rake while I was raking just waiting for the easy breakfast.
Many of them will live in the same territory, I love see them, they seem so pre-historic to me.

chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.