When should Limelight show buds?

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Limelight was planted last year and it grew a lot. But I see no buds yet (no blooms last year, was too young). Too early yet for buds?
Thanks.

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

It will be another month for buds in zone 5a. Yours may be a little sooner. My Quickfire has buds on now.

Gary

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Zone 6 here, and no buds yet. Limelight would be hard not to have flower. I wouldn't worry for another month or so.

Rockville, MD(Zone 6a)

I too was a little concerned with mine a couple of weeks ago. I live in zone 6. I have two Limelight Hydrangeas that get a good amount of sun. Each shrub now has several flowers starting to form - I would say 15-20 per shrub already. Each day more seem to appear, and they are maturing fast! The weather here for the last 3-4 weeks has been sunny, dry, and hot so that may contribute to the early flower bud formation. I can't wait for about another month. They will really be a sight to see! I will post pics in the upcoming weeks.

Arlington, TN(Zone 7a)

Buds forming in Zone 7b in extreme drought conditions.

Wolfgang

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Nothing here yet either. I wouldn't worry - they'll have their show later.

Thornton, IL

Al - Is your Tardiva showing buds yet? How about a recent pic?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I'll take one tomorrow. I've got Quickfire starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Thornton, IL

Oh that is pretty.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Did you buy a hydrangea yet?

Here is tardiva today - no buds. The end leaves are clasping some though.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Little Lamb is getting there.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Limelight is starting.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

OK, buds on Limelight spotted today. Yippee!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Yeah, mine too!

How many different budded areas did you find, bbinnj?

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

At least 2.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Good, you're going to love it.

Thornton, IL

Hi Al, thanks for the photos. No, not yet. BUT we did dig out the flower beds this weekend, I have lots of room now, woo-hoo! (8 to 7 feet deep in a couple places, about 14 feet long). I still need to loosen up the soil, trench the edge, add some compost, get it nice and fluffy. Still deciding...

Rockville, MD(Zone 6a)

Picture of Limelight taken this afternoon - 6/27/07

Thumbnail by ericmg01
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

A picture of mine from last year.

Pink Diamond is the one on the lower left, the rest is Limelight.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Thornton, IL

I just saw Little Lamb today, ooh is it a cutie! I have been thinking that Limelight and Quickfire, as lovely as they both are, are going to quickly outgrow their new digs (pun intended, LOL). I messed up, the bed is 24 feet long, but still, it's only 8 feet deep, so a dwarf sized shrub would be best.

Rockville, MD(Zone 6a)

Picture of limelight taken this afternoon. Great shrub with many blooms! Lives up to expectations.

Thumbnail by ericmg01
Deering, NH(Zone 4b)

I spied some tiny buds a couple of days ago, by the end of the month I should get some blooms.

Rockville, MD(Zone 6a)

Picture of limelight taken this evening. She has performed like a champ this year!

Thumbnail by ericmg01
Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

I too am in zone 6 and have no buds as yet. Several of the more mature branches were eaten by deer however. I have sprayed the bush with "Liquid Fence" however. {t does smell horrible for a few days but seems the most effective deterent I have used. The smell disappears to me in a few days.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Arfitz, I'm in West Orange, NJ. Limelight finally bloomed -- only to be eaten by deer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have to think youyr blooms were eaten off by the deer also.

My Limelight is almost fully open now.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Quickfire as of today.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Little Lamb in it's second year here. Next year I will start to prune/train it to better form.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Unique is a new plant and only has a few flowers this year - nice though.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Thornton, IL

bb~That's terrible! Those drat *&%# deer! I know you must be so disappointed. Same thing happened here to one of my daylilies.
eric & al~Keep the pics coming, can't wait to see the flowers change.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I'll update the ones that change - they all don't though.

Duvall, WA(Zone 7b)

Hi, here is a photo of my limelight plant...she is nice and green but no buds or blooms yet. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...admittedly I am a noob at gardening, but this is my favorite plant and I would love your help or suggestions. I bought the plant last summer. It fried in the heat and I cut it way back in late fall. She grew new wood rather quickly in spring but I am getting worried she won't bloom this year. I have not repotted since the purchase last summer.

Thumbnail by twentynineroses
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

It probably needs more sun and a permanent growing spot to grow well. Mine are just starting to open their first buds so yours may still put out some buds soon.

Here is a photo of my largest one last July (30th) and is about 3 or 4 years old then. This one tops out close to 8 feet so give them room to grow.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2014 7:31 AM

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.