Gladiolus nanus 'Nymph'

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

She's a beauty!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

How delicately beautiful! I planted a lot of nanus this year but only a few are up so far. Hope they are OK!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

How pretty!!!

I think this one must like it a bit cooler, it's in a greenhouse, the one with panes missing, and gets shade in the afternoon.

They should be hardy so I might get more next year to put in the ground, they are sold as a named variety here.

They are quite short, about 18", these are in a pot in my compost mix with NO extra food.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

They are hardy in the ground for me so they probably will be for you too, wallaby. I love them. I think a lot of my old ones got dug/chopped up when I kept adding more lilies. Well I had to plant them somewhere!

Oh dear, it looks like I'm in trouble space wise too! I think I can 'maybe' squeeze some in between other things.

I'm not sure if they would do well in the ground here, our cold spells are forever ongoing even if we have some warm spells in between. Yesterday was around 55F!

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Back in the late 1970's, I grew some Gladiolus nanus here in zone 4. But they came from a place like Burpee's or Jung's, so I can't say if that is actually what they are. Anyway, they pretty much all returned after the first winter, most did not after the second, and the few that did make it died the following winter.

The area however, was not the best place for glads that might be winter hardy. It was in a valley (we had 3.5 acres[1.4 hectares]) where water would sit for 1-3 days each spring. On the other hand, it was the same garden where a no name red glad (that I spoke of in a previous thread somewhere here) survived and multiplied five winters without fail.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm looking for a source of the hardy gladiolus nanus sold as named varieties like this one. Everywhere I look, they are only available in a mix, so I get lots of colors I don't like.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

I mine the same as yours?

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Yours looks like Gladiolus nanus 'Prins Claus' . :)

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Wallaby! You are a miracle! That's it!
I have these in my front, and the deer mow them down as soon as I have a bud, but this year they managed to bloom ( once).

I would like to buy more of these, and a friend wants to know what they are too, so BIG thanks for identifying for me!!

Christie

You're welcome! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.